Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
O.N.O.
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:12:27 pm »
How about making it a rule for sellers to write ONO when they are open to negotiation? And for a sale not being open for negotiation when "ONO" doesn't appear.

Somehow I guess that there's quite a few here who support the whole 'culture' of haggling (I detest it, as I've too often made obvious) and so my suggestion won't be taken up. So, my workaround will have to be some choice words to dissuade such behaviour whenever I post something for sale (not often).

:laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: O.N.O.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:15:27 pm »
Or people that don't want to haggle put "no offers"

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »

Or people that don't want to haggle put "no offers"

....Yep  :happy2:

Jeeze, that was a quick reply. I'm glad I'm not alone with such a thought.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »
I'm the opposite to you though lol I love a good haggle! But if someone says no offers and the price is the general going rate I will just buy it.

I have missed out on a few good buys by messing around with haggling tho! Topcat will I'm sure back me up on that haha

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:28:42 pm »
^^^^
Actually, you've just hit the nail on the head: It's more of an enhancement to the forum if the 'no offers/ono' subject is always made clear by the seller, then everyone knows where they stand.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »
I think it's up to the seller - someone who may not accept offers may change their stance if the item has not sold for several weeks.

Rather than making it a rule, I'd say it should be a recommendation - if you're not going to consider offers then say so, otherwise IMO it's fair game. The worst thing to happen is that someone says "no" to an offer. It's not being rude to make an offer or to decline it. Mabe someone has pithed their item at too high a price and a close offer makes the sale

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:34:12 pm »
^^^^
I was thinking exactly the same, stealth: I suggest it's a recommendation stated in the guidelines, rather than a rule.

Not everyone will do it of course, but it will be helpful from those that do.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »
I don't believe there is any need for a rule change, the problem normally comes not from the potential buyers or the sellers its everyone else chipping in an opinion or asking questions about what's replacing it.

Happy to the put a note in the section recommendations.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 12:02:43 am »
^^^^
Cheers, Steve  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:57:07 am »
I agree with Steve, there seems little need/point in making a rule for the sake of it.  The forum brings buyers and sellers together, if they can't sort it out between them then it's just a case of forget it and move on.  Likewise if people aren't adult enough to be able to negotiate then that will be made clear in good time.

As for chipping in, I have just read the wanted thread for an ED30 at circa £500 over a trade in offer.  It's turning into quite a nasty thread with several people harping on about this and that.  At the end of the day the OP has made his intentions clear and made a reasonable offer, he doesn't need everyone trying to tell him how much of a c0ck he is.  His request is simple and IMHO quite well placed given the current market and audience.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:08:36 am »
The problem with this suggestion is that someone lists something for sale at £300 no offers.... then 2 months down the line it hasn't sold and is then open to offers.

I always put things up for sale at realistic price (usually a lot lower than they're worth) but still expect it t take a while to sell. If someone says "I'll give you £280 today", it's often worth it so you don't have any more hasstle.

Remember the old saying: "You never know until you try". Personally I have no problem with anyone offering me 1/2 what I'm asking, at least I have an idea what people are willing to pay. What's the worst I have to do? Say NO

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:53 pm »
^^^That's my point exactly. Saying no to someone isn't the end of the world.

With that a1pse chap or whatever his name is, I don't think it was meant to be nasty but I think his posts were interpreted negatively and hence responses were negative  He did have some unrealistic expectations but there's nothing wrong with trying to realise what our perceptions of our own cars and their values are.

If someone wanted to buy a Ferrari for £5000, how would you respond? There are positive ways and nevative ways to respond. I think, as a forum, we should try to maintain a positive attitude. Especially since it's what attract new members.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.