Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter Protection Detailing  (Read 2416 times)

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Winter Protection Detailing
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:42:44 am »
I'm looking to get my car protected for the winter. Now, I'm actually a newbie to detailing so have been looking at getting it done by a pro. I've come accross a company called Autocare which is quite local to me (Solihull) who have quoted me £105 for the following:

1.    Rinse exterior bodywork, wheels and arches to remove loose grit
2.    Treat above with biodegradable pre wash to remove traffic film,
grease, and heavier grime.
3.    Rinse exterior bodywork, wheels and arches.
4.    Wash exterior bodywork with ph neutral shampoo and conditioner using
lambs wool wash mitt and two bucket method (buckets with grit guard)
5.    Rinse then dry bodywork with micro fiber towel.
6.    Clean wheels with non acid wheel cleaner, rinse then dry.
7.    Contamination removal bar used for paintwork to draw out tree sap,
brake dust and tar spots to leave a smooth to the touch finish.
8.    Apply by hand non wax paint work sealant allows for maximum
repellency     of dirt and reduces the static charge on your vehicle
surface.
9.    Apply wax by hand giving your car a durable protection for the
winter
10.    Alloy wheels have sealant applied by hand to protect against winter
road grime.

They will come out to my house and carry out the work.

Can anyone tell me if this is a fair price and if the above procedure will be sufficient or should I ask for anything else to be done?

Thanks

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Winter Protection Detailing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »
Simplifying those steps

1. Rinse
2. Snowfoam or TFR
3. Rinse
4. 2BM wash
5. Rinse and dry
6. Wash wheels, rinse, dry
7. Claying
8. Sealant
9. Wax
10. Wheel sealant.

TBH I've done that to my own car and it doesn't take much work. Honestly, you could probably buy all you need for £100-150 and then do the work yourself if you want. You'll take more care, learn how to detail and hence in the long term, save money.

Things I would ask about:

- polishing - not necessarily paintwork correction but even a pass with a polisher and say lime prime or menzerna final finish would bring the shine out. This is the one important step they've seemed to missed out and IMO is an important part.

- rubber/window/plastics - will they pay attention to these? Windows can be clayed and cleaned. Rubber and plastics can be cleaned and dressed. They're small points but that's the point of detailing - you pay attention to detail, rather than going over the car with a sponge and single bucket!!!

- exhaust - again, small point but as above, will they clean them too?

- door and boot shuts. Will they do this? Also needs washing, drying, dressing and sealing. Helps keep the car protected (they are vulnerable areas as you get in and out of the car!) and also helps the car look clean.

- tyre dressing - don't know if this was mentioned but no point in having shiny alloys if the wheels haven't been dressed.

Ask about the above, the prices involved. I know Greeners has used Gaz from Detail My Ride. I don't know whether he or your company have insurance - what will happen if they damage the car? Personally have used Midland Detailing in Dudley as Autoperfection were a tad too far for me but both of those should be good as well.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
Thanks for the reply Stealth. I would prefer to do it myself but like I say, I've never done it before and more importantly I don't have a garage so if the heavens decide to open, I'll be in a spot of bother!  :confused:

I'll ask him about the points you have mentioned  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:21 pm »
It depends on what facilities you have. Ideally a garage wide enough do you could open both doors fully means you could wash the car outside and do everything else inside. A driveway means you can detail uninhibited by traffic. Or if you're like me and have neither of those things, detail by getting up at 5am on a sunday morning and getting all done before the traffic hits by 9am or so.

If they are detailers, I'd expect them to have their own unit where they can pay close attention to the car without the bothersomeness of the weather, dirt from passing traffic etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:44:21 pm by stealthwolf »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:08:23 pm »
I do have a driveway so that helps. I've been on the midland detailing website and they seem to have a special offer on. Might try and give them a ring tomorrow.  :happy2:

If it starts to rain in the middle of polishing/waxing etc, what do you do? Just leave it and go back to it later?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »
Polishing is difficult. For true correction, you need a dust-free environment and rain introduces dust with it. For a quick pass with a polisher, a few drops of rain is okay.

I think Greeners used to detail his car out in the rain. Certainly if all you're doing is washing the car, rain won't cause problems.

When I used midland detailing they had a garage (attached to the house) but it was large enough to do a proper job, which is important. The main reason I used them was because they have insurance and because they had a protected work area. If I had a large enough place, I'd have done it myself. They're quite friendly. Two guys - the main guy is Paul. One of them had a mk5 GTI so they know their way around the car. Plus they helped clean the interior (had spilt some sugary syrup) and helped change my rims round free of charge.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:05 pm »
Give Gaz @ Detail my ride a holla as he's in Solihull and has looked after my paintwork from day 1!  :happy2:

http://www.detailmyride.co.uk/

He's also a member on here!  :wink:

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »
Great. Thanks guys. I'll try them both asap  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:49 pm »
Give Gaz @ Detail my ride a holla as he's in Solihull and has looked after my paintwork from day 1!  :happy2:

http://www.detailmyride.co.uk/

He's also a member on here!  :wink:

x2

Gaz is a good detailer ;)

Offline Gaz W

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »
What you've listed looks OK, however there is no paintwork polish/cleanse stage in there which is a pretty important stage prior to applying a sealant/wax.

Without undercutting the competition, our 99.00 GBP Dodo Juice Advanced is a full detail including both interior, exterior and wheels/arches. This includes a paintwork cleanse/polish via machine also.

- 21 step wash process, inc wheels
- Paintwork machine polished using Lime Prime, restoring a high gloss finish, and preparing the paintwork for wax
- Several layers of Dodo Juice Supernatural to ensure maximum protection
- Wheels sealed with a synthetic polymer sealant
- Glass cleaned, tyres and plastics dressed
- Full interior detail

I'm Gaz from Detail My Ride as mentioned above, drop me an email/give me a call if you need to discuss further.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:50:00 pm »
Sorry jump in this thread guys but Gaz that is a good price, just a shame your so far away!

Do you know of anyone in the south east, preferably Kent area??

Cheers
Lee.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:18 pm »
What you've listed looks OK, however there is no paintwork polish/cleanse stage in there which is a pretty important stage prior to applying a sealant/wax.

Without undercutting the competition, our 99.00 GBP Dodo Juice Advanced is a full detail including both interior, exterior and wheels/arches. This includes a paintwork cleanse/polish via machine also.

- Paintwork machine polished using Lime Prime, restoring a high gloss finish, and preparing the paintwork for wax
- Full interior detail

I'm Gaz from Detail My Ride as mentioned above, drop me an email/give me a call if you need to discuss further.

Gaz, thanks for the reply. I've been meaning to speak to you as suggested by Greeners. Only reason I've been putting it off is because I am going away for 3 weeks this weekend and will hopefully get it done when I come back. I'll give you a buzz then.  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »

- Full interior detail

That is a good deal!