Make a donation

Author Topic: Alloy with light scratching on face  (Read 1156 times)

Offline holty

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 9
Alloy with light scratching on face
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »
I've got a spare detroit alloy that is perfect (no kurbing) and never been fitted but has light scratches on the face of the alloy.

Just wondering if i should try and hand polish the scratches with something like Scratch-X or whether if should try and get it machine polished. 

With it being matt black would it make it shiney? I've just a little worried about attacking it with a G220  :smiley:

Any advice?

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Alloy with light scratching on face
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »
I think i would leave it mate. You can't help a few scratches due to normal wear & tear etc. Might end up making it worse if you try to polish it out. :wink:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:58:07 pm »
I think i would leave it mate. You can't help a few scratches due to normal wear & tear etc. Might end up making it worse if you try to polish it out. :wink:

I second that, although you could try touching the scratches in with a matched paint but only if youve got a steady hand! Use a needle or cocktail stick depending on how bad they are.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Werner

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:17 pm »
I am not sure, but attacking the original detroits with my DAP900 and polish did gave a good result. Don't know if a G220 and scratch-x would make a difference, but with the right amount of patience I think it would be worth trying.

Why not trying it by hand first, to see how the surface reacts ons scratch-x?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »
If you use any force whatsoever on the face of a Detroit it will make the patch you are trying to correct shiney. So your choice is to either leave it or polish the whole thing!  :happy2: