Make a donation

Author Topic: vw platinum oil  (Read 8648 times)

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
Re: vw platinum oil
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »
hmm, so whats the best oil to use then? i dont do high mileage, but dont want to be replacing the oil all the time either

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »
hmm, so whats the best oil to use then? i dont do high mileage, but dont want to be replacing the oil all the time either
I don't know if you missed the point.  The thread title states 'Platinum' oil.  This is really not suitable for GTI.  Yes, Quantum Platinum is 502.00 rated, which means it can be used in the GTI (but ONLY on T&D servicing).  However, the lowest common denomiator 502.00 oils are generally nothing more than glorified mineral oils.  502.00 was never designed for FSI direct injection (and nor were the 1st and 2nd generation VAG longlife oils).

Soooooo - you really, REALLY need to be using a 504.00 oil.  I hear your point that you are a low mileage driver, and I sympathise with that issue (I'm relatively low mileage in my RS4 at the mo).  However, you do have a technically advanced engine, which even in standard tune is relatively high performance - and yours is modified and re-mapped!  For your car (FSI, turbo, modified) - and whilst I don't know your personal driving style, I would imagine :wink: you still like to explore its full potential - then my recommendation would still be to use one of the top quality 504.00 oils such as Castrol Edge 5w30 (or its BP rebrand - BP Visco 7000 5w30), Fuchs Titan GT1 LongLife 3, Motul Specific 504.00 507.00, Pentosin Pento Super Performance 3, or Total Quartz INEO 504-507.  If you honestly feel you cant splash out on those premuim brews, then Quantum Longlife 3 5w30 is perfectly acceptable.

But to anyone reading this, never, EVER use Carlube (which GSF and ECP supply) or Comma lubes - in ANY type of car, or even your lawn mower!  Neither are certified by Volkswagen, dispite them both making claims they are.  And what's even worse, they both claim API certification - which again is blatant lies - you need to be officially certified by the API to make these claims, API have an online searchable database - and neither are licensed!  Anyone who knows anything about motor oils will tell you that API standards are grossly low compared to European oil standards (ACEA) - and if an oil can't even meet those lowly API standards - then how dare they claim they can meed VW (and/or BMW, MB, GM, Reno, PSA, etc) OEM standards.  SHAME on GSF and ECP for stocking and selling this shyte!  <rant over>
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »
Hi TT,

ive read a fair few of your posts regarding the correct oil with great interest!
My Ed30 recently went in for a 20k (T&D) service at the stealers. Now, after reading numerous posts about the vw technical bulletin, i just assumed all stealers use LL oil on all servicing (a bit naive of me, i know).

After i got the car home, i noticed in the service book, the box "long life oil used" was ticked no. I didnt really think much of it and left it at that.
I had to ring up the service department today on a separate issue and i remembered to ask what oil they had used - they said platinum oil, i quizzed and said "arent you supposed to use LL oil now" and the guy said "no".

I did panic after reading this thread about platinum oil not being suitable for the GTI but after reading the spec for platinum oil, i take it the point you were making TT was that although it could be used, its not the most suitable?

Its a bit difficult to go back to VW and complain as they have done the bare minimum. so, would you advise that after say 5k-6k miles, i take the car to an independent garage and get them to change to Castrol Edge 5w 30 and change the oil filter?
Im locked into a service plan so the car will be back at the stealers next year for the interim service - do i request that they use Castrol Edge 5w 30 or dont the stealers entertain requests like that?

Cheers TT -sorry for the long winded post!

Rich