Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 1 - Requirements  (Read 4191 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Stage 1 - Requirements
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
Looking at a stage 1 map at some point before next summer for my K03 GTI.

With all your experience collectively, I ultimately want to know which map(s) meet the requirements I have as it's not really performance alone I'm looking for, more of a practical remap if anything, should there be some suitable?

Requirements are;

• Must be suitable for a completely stock engine. Except for a better CAI (currently Carbonio which doesn't really count although soon to be Dbilas) the engine hasn't been modified whatsoever.
  • Can't be an aggressive map. I've got money aside for an OEM clutch but I don't want to have to worry about other components aside this. The cars on 76k miles currently - it's a 2006 plate
  • Must be user removable/switchable. I suppose that limits me to the 'handset' remaps(?), but I need it to be an easy process to remove the map and all user data for when I come to sell the vehicle.
  • Anything that will put me in the ballpark of 230bhp-242hp or so with a Dbilas would be ideal. I understand from my Stage 1 research that 240hp on a healthy well serviced K03 GTI is a realistic aim?
  • I upgraded to Hawk HPS+ pads on the fronts a while ago. I've run them for nearly a year now in fact. These should cover the extra power when braking I assume?

I definitely won't be looking at taking it to a next stage in the future as the components I'd need to support that become a lot harder to remove when coming to sell (as well as being a lot more expensive!), so this would be with just Stg1 alone in mind.

Price isn't too much of an issue. I'll also have it roaded' before (+ and after obviously) to expose any boost/engine problems  :chicken:
Which remap would be a wise purchase?

Thanks,
Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Stage 1 - Requirements
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »
I would have to say Revo. It's adjustable, upgradable and you should definitely see 240 bhp  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:58 pm »
REVO will work fine.  It can be aggressive, however you could ask the Installer to wind the settings back so its not so aggressive.  If you buy the SPS handset on top of this you can switch the powr outputs from performqance back to standard.  this isnt the standard map, but the revo map settings wound back sufficiently to produce standard output on the engine.

My personal recomendation is to give shark performance a try.  with their STS handset you can fully remove the performance map and revert back to the genuine stock map when ever you want.  Also the handset can read and clear fault codes on the ECU.  He has a V.good rep on briskoda, almost like REVO are on here.  for what its worth, with bluefin my car peaked 241hp/249lbft.  with shark performance it made 240Hp for around 1k and hit 270lbft.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »
REVO IMO the best proven map. (i have had superchips and revo on my ko3)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:01:14 am »
I had REVO set my map to be progressive rather than aggressive. Ensure you always use high ron fuel (v-power or tesco momentum).

Remapping can cause clutch slip.

Ask for the SPS switch - it's an extra £100 but worth it for switchability.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:10:10 am »
I'm running Revo on a K03 GTI, now Stage2, and am very happy and was very happy with Stage1.

However, my understanding is that the remap is written for a performance exhaust such as Milltek and an aftermarket intake. I think the exhaust is the more important component to unleash the power of the remap.

As stealth wisely advises: Use V-Power exclusively - Again it's what the remap is written for.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »
Thanks all for the accurate feedback  :happy2:

I only ever use Tesco Momentum (99) TBH. I stopped using V-Power when I realised you have to spent a fortune before you start reaping reward points which annoyed me.

REVO will work fine.  It can be aggressive, however you could ask the Installer to wind the settings back so its not so aggressive.  If you buy the SPS handset on top of this you can switch the powr outputs from performqance back to standard.  this isnt the standard map, but the revo map settings wound back sufficiently to produce standard output on the engine.

My personal recomendation is to give shark performance a try.  with their STS handset you can fully remove the performance map and revert back to the genuine stock map when ever you want.  Also the handset can read and clear fault codes on the ECU.  He has a V.good rep on briskoda, almost like REVO are on here.  for what its worth, with bluefin my car peaked 241hp/249lbft.  with shark performance it made 240Hp for around 1k and hit 270lbft.

I wasn't aware of Shark Sy, that's interesting stuff. Thanks.
While Revo Stg1 seems to tick most of my boxes, the Shark option probably ticks them all if I can truly revert back to standard and remove user data, if I've understood that correctly with the STS handset?

That's an extra chunk of torque there. I suppose every car will be different, but that in itself is appealing as a package.
Pete

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:08 pm »
my review of the swap is herehttp://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9088.0.html

lots of reviews on his work on briskoda plus explanations on the STS handset, you'll just have to sift through the pages as the 12 days of Xmas offers they were doing has clogged up the first page http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/154-shark-performance/?s=b2be06014197036c29ae00df0e1d06a3

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »
I'll be getting my bluefin handset reset next week. So it could be a cheaper alternative for you.
I'll be selling it for around £280 delivered?Just an idea for you :stupid:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:47:22 pm »
my review of the swap is herehttp://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9088.0.html

lots of reviews on his work on briskoda plus explanations on the STS handset, you'll just have to sift through the pages as the 12 days of Xmas offers they were doing has clogged up the first page http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/154-shark-performance/?s=b2be06014197036c29ae00df0e1d06a3

Just gave your review a thorough read Sy  :drinking:
I also skimmed through a few of the Bri threads from various users who'd just touched on Shark Stg1. Yet again, very positive feedback and reassuring reading.

I'll be getting my bluefin handset reset next week. So it could be a cheaper alternative for you.
I'll be selling it for around £280 delivered?Just an idea for you :stupid:

I'm a little way off this yet, i.e. a few months probably. I've not yet thought about the insurance aspect either yet, so thanks anyway  :happy2:
Pete