Make a donation

Author Topic: Passenger Seat Screws Loose  (Read 1625 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Passenger Seat Screws Loose
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »
After some rattles were discovered on the passenger seat housing, I've decided to have a go at tightening all the screws on show underneath the seat.

Which screwdriver(s) or sockets will I need for the exposed screws or bolts? They didn't look like T-20 jobbies although I couldn't get to see them properly as they're right underneath, at an adverse angle.

Is there anything under there I can tighten? There must be something loose as I've established that's whats squeaking.
I'm pretty sure after diagnosis that it's not the seat struts themselves, i.e. the Hex screws.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:40:08 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Passenger Seat Screws/Bolts (Interlagos)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
Maybe I should simplify this one as the OP might not have been clear  :laugh: - Apologies.
In essence, my passenger seat is a little squeaky. Are there any screws on it anywhere underneath the seat that I can have a look at tightening and if so, which tools will I need?

I've had an upside down look and there's some on show, I just couldn't really get in between the gaps to see what they were.

Thanks for any pointers on bit of vague question  :happy2:
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Passenger Seat Screws Loose
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »

Can any of the exposed screws be tightened at all?
Something or several items are loose so if it's not those on show, what else could it be?

I'm a real DIY noddy so any pointers on tools and what I can attack would be appreciated chaps - Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:45:55 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:44 pm »
Youve got the 4 main bolts that hold the seat down but I cant see them causing the squeak, their a T10 spline bit from memory I think.

Apart from that it could be the plastic cowling around the base of the seat but not sure how thats fixed, Iv never really looked! Probably just clipped on.

Sorry I havnt been much help!
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:14:31 pm »
Thanks Apollo ^^  :drinking:

I've not touched this yet, mainly cause I really have no strategy or know which tools I'll need.
I've given the plastic surrounds of the lower part of the seat a good fist nudge but it's a metal or more heavy duty sounding components that appears to be loose.

Where's the best place to start?
I know you can take the whole seat out all together, is that probably wise here?
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
This is still an issue unfortunately. Are there any springs that I can access to grease or oil? The sound now is very like a low pitch mouse squeak or old spring being coiled sound.

I just want to attack something on the passenger seat so I can at least feel like im making progress  :smiley:
Cheers.
Pete

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:09:40 pm »
I have exactly the same problem but it seems to be coming from my drivers seat.  I'm going to take a look this weekend and I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »
Nice one mate ^  :happy2:

To be honest I can't understand what would make that noises unless it's the rollers/seat tracks themselves, but I wouldn't know where to start to stop them from squeaking - perhaps you can't?

There's always a small chance it's the fascia that's loose that I removed to replace my pollen filter, in the passenger footwell?  :confused:
Pete