Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick Detailer Question  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Quick Detailer Question
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »
I've just applied Dodo Lime Prime followed by 2 coats of AG HD Wax, which looks really amazing. Although from past experience I don't get the same look after 2 or 3 washes, so after a bit of research I've decided to by some Dodo Red Mist Tropcial, which I can apply after a wash to get that freshly waxed look again.

Question is can I use this between washes. e.g. I waxed the car on Sunday left in on the drive until today and noticed a build of fine dust, would QD like the Dodo be ok to apply to remove this without markign the paint of is it wash again.

Also what other situations could I use this or any QD?
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Quick Detailer Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:29:33 am »
Red mist is more of a sealant. Use it to "top up" the wax rather than as a true quick detailer.

I would not apply anything to the car unless it's been washed. All you do is wipe the dust across the car. It's like rubbing sand into the car. It will inflict swirl marks, undoing your hard work. I would wash the car, dry it and then apply the red mist.

Even with a conventional QD, I wouldn't apply it without washing the car first.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:55:32 am »
So basically there is no quick fix in between washes to get the car looking fresh again?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:59:19 am »
It depends on what you want to do. The only reason that I would use a microfibre and quick detailer without washing the car is if the car had been untouched and in storage or just recently washed eg last night.

It doesn't take long. If I were pressed for time, I'd probably just snowfoam the car and rinse it, without bothering to dry and then wipe over with a microfibre loaded with quick detailer.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:07 am »
So does a QD aid drying? For example could you quickly wash and rinse then with QD and a microfibre rub down to dry.  Would this leave a better finish than drying with a towel only?

Andy

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:48 am »
Depends on the QD. You can use, for example, Meg's Last Touch as a drying aid or as a QD. As a drying aid, it will cause any pools of water to break up and run off the car.

Better finish than just towel-drying? Not sure. I'd imagine drying with a towel and then running over with a QD would be better.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:05:42 am »
It depends on what you want to do. The only reason that I would use a microfibre and quick detailer without washing the car is if the car had been untouched and in storage or just recently washed eg last night.

It doesn't take long. If I were pressed for time, I'd probably just snowfoam the car and rinse it, without bothering to dry and then wipe over with a microfibre loaded with quick detailer.

Thats kinda what I mean. The car was waxed last weekend and stood on the drive all week (not even moved an inch) and yesterday there was a layer of really fine dust on it, kinda like the stuff you see on JPCs correction threads.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:51 am »
In theory, you could go over the car with QD without washing but I'd be too worried about inflicting swirls.

There's a huge difference between overnight and a week - you still get a helluva lot of pollution.

I keep my car in the garage, so less crap on it if washed the night before.

Honestly, it'd take at max an hour to snow foam the car, power rinse it, dry it and apply Red Mist. If you'd started at 0800, you'd have been done by now.  :grin:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:14:50 pm »
I remove dust with a microfibre mop rather than a wash, doesn't hurt the paint or drag dirt either :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 11:44:13 pm »
It can be done with care but really depends on the colour of the car as to whether you get away with it or not.....