Make a donation

Author Topic: Paintwork Bumpy After Wax  (Read 1205 times)

Offline mdavis

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Paintwork Bumpy After Wax
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »
Hi all, apologies if this has already been asked. I did perform a search but couldn't find anything.

I tried my hand at detailing the gti this weekend, part of which was claying. This removed tons of crap on the paintwork and left it silky smooth. It stayed this way all the way up until after polishing. After applying the wax and subsequently buffing it off the paintwork has been left slightly bumpy, almost like sand paper and ruining the smooth to touch finish. Does anyone know what caused this? Have I left the wax on too long before buffing off? The bumps will come free with light work from a fingernail however this is a bit much to correct the whole car and I'm afraid it will damage the paintwork. What can I do to get it back to the smooth state?

Cheers

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Paintwork Bumpy After Wax
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:37 pm »
I'd try a Quick detailer like Dodo juice red mist and a micofibre cloth.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:10 pm »
What conditions did you apply the wax in? What kind of applicator? How long did you leave it on? How did you buff off? How long after buffing did you have the problem?

Sounds like too much product. I'd use a quick detailer or even just water and a microfibre cloth.

Red Mist is more of a spray sealant and if applied too soon after waxing, will strip the wax rather than enhance it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:24:15 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mdavis

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:01 pm »
It was warm when I applied the wax but it wasn't in direct sunlight. I applied the wax (dodo juice purple haze) with a foam applicator that came with it, the sort that goes over the middle 3 fingers and buffed off with a microfibre cloth after about 5 to 10 mins as suggested. Any of that sound like I have done something wrong?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:19 pm »
I've heard from other detailers that purple haze left a similar finish. 5-10 mins is far, far too long.

I use the swipe test. Use your finger to wipe through the layer and when it leaves a clean mark, that's the time to buff. Make sure your wax layers are ultra-thin. You should struggle to see the wax when applying it.

I would go over the car with a quick detailer, or strip back the wax and try again. You could always try a second coat after 24hrs and see if the solvents in it will dissolve some of the old excess wax.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
What conditions did you apply the wax in? What kind of applicator? How long did you leave it on? How did you buff off? How long after buffing did you have the problem?

Sounds like too much product. I'd use a quick detailer or even just water and a microfibre cloth.

Red Mist is more of a spray sealant and if applied too soon after waxing, will strip the wax rather than enhance it.

It says QD on the bottle though...

Yeah I'd read reports of red mist not to be applied directly after waxing , I remeber reading on DW tht you should leave wax to cure for 24-48hrs.

GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline mdavis

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:20 pm »
Thanks. Going on the replies I think its a mix of too much product and left for too long on the car. I will try the quick detailer or failing that, strip it back on the weekend and start again.  Cheers

Offline mdavis

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:12 pm »
A spray with water and wiping it off did the job perfectly. Back to silky smooth. Thanks :drinking:

Offline washwarehouse

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:44 pm »
Hello mate,

As I am a Detailer myself I would say that the wax has been left on too long in the warm... TBH wax should only be applied in a cool environment pref indoors.

Also I am probably guessing that you have probably applied too much Wax and it has just been to much to buff off...

I would say wash the car heavily, plenty of shampoo in the buckets, and wash a few times with a lambs wool mitt. Dry the car off, and then have a go at re-waxing... You seriously do not have to use much wax at all. The thinner the layer the better.

Do the swipe test after around 15 mins or so (do try and do in the shade).......

This should be enough to re-lever the wax again...

After all the Wax is completely off (also use plenty of microfibres to wipe off the wax, they clog quick)... Leave the Car in the Sun to really bake on the wax that is left behind. (But do make sure you have buffed it all off before leaving in the sun!!!)

Job done