Make a donation

Author Topic: Any Plumber out there?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Any Plumber out there?
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:00:44 am »
My combi boiler hasn't really been used for anything other than hot water over the last few months and has been fine. However, recently it seems to loose pressure reallt fast. I would say it goes from the normal 1.5 bar to 0.0 in around and hour maybe? The filling loop is still fitted so its easy enought to top up but it just keeps doing the same.
 The radiators are quite noisy too recently as if there is some air in them yet I've bled all of them and they are all ok. Checked for leaks where I can and can't find anything and we don't have any obvious patches of damp anywhere in the house?

Presumably i have a leak somewhere but somebody has also mentioned the expansion tank in the boiler?

Advice needed guys  :sad1:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Any Plumber out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:31:42 am »
Not a plumber but check that it isn't discharging through the pressure relief valve - normally a little bit of copper pipe sticking out of your house at the back of the boiler.  If it is discharing through this then thats your culprit.  If not you have a leak elsewhere.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:10 am »
Not a plumber but check that it isn't discharging through the pressure relief valve - normally a little bit of copper pipe sticking out of your house at the back of the boiler.  If it is discharing through this then thats your culprit.  If not you have a leak elsewhere.

Will give it a check mate, cheers.

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
Sounds like the expansion vessel is knackered, so when you turned on your heating the pressure rose to 3 bar or more upon expansion and the safety valve open and pissed the water to outside.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:10 am »
Just to add to rectify it you will need to relieve the pressure, attach a footpump to the expansion vessel and pump it up between 0.7 - 1 bar. Do this with a drain off open. Should the expansion vessel not hold the pressure as you pump it our water leaks out the shraeder it will be a case of needing a new expansion vessel and then things can get a little more pricey depending on make of boiler. Alternatively you can just cut in a external expansion vessel into a central heating pipe yourself.

If its leaking out the pressure release pipe it will also more than likely require a new pressure release valve.

To pump the vessel and replace the prv should cost around 80-100 by a private bloke. Piss easy to do. Well unles you have a obscure spaceship boiler and the prv is fitted in a awkward position.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
Don't know the first thing about it and couldn't see any of the bits described. Got a local plumber out and he found a blcoked pipe,from the expansion tank and release valve I think? Anyway it cost an hour labour and seems to be ok for now. Just got the sky to fix which bust this morning and the car that someone kindly drove into! They say bad things come in threes so I should be ok for the rest of the year, lol.

And I can't be bothered sorting my typing drrors caused by my phone and my sausage fingers!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
And thanks for the assistance guys. :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »
A blocked by which connects to the expansion vessel will do it. However it will most likely happen again unless you take some measures against it as you have sludge/muck in your system. Get a magnaclean/magnabooster/fernox filter fitted on the return pipe of the boiler. Will collect all the debris before the water goes back to the boiler  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:30:14 am »
A blocked by which connects to the expansion vessel will do it. However it will most likely happen again unless you take some measures against it as you have sludge/muck in your system. Get a magnaclean/magnabooster/fernox filter fitted on the return pipe of the boiler. Will collect all the debris before the water goes back to the boiler  :happy2:

Cheers dude  :smiley: