Make a donation

Author Topic: esp light  (Read 1751 times)

Offline tonym1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
esp light
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »
hi my esp light has come on and the switch near the gear stick says off ive tried pushing the switch when car is stopped and when car is running is there anyway or is it a sensor or something  many thanks in advance  tony, car is a 54 plate gti with 56 k on clock

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: esp light
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »
Hi, usual first port of call would be to get any fault codes read using VCDS.  However I have seen a similar problem on a MkIV V6 4Motion whose ESP light illuminated.  The fault codes were showing low voltage for the ABS system.  Turned out that the battery was on its way out.  When starting the car the voltage dropped triggering the fault status and light.  This was proven by clearing the light then starting the car to find the light immediately return on cranking.  New battery fitted and no more light.  Has your car been slow to turn over in the mornings?  If so, could be the answer.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:54:46 pm by OEM+ DUB »
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:23:48 pm »
You got to get the fault code read, it could be a number of things. I had my esp light go out on centre console and the traction control on the dash twice, both times it turned out to be each of my sensors in my rear bearings.

Offline lee_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
Might be worth giving the brakes some stick and seeing if the ABS actually works or not, if the ABS works there's a likelihood that its
the dreaded G201 - pressure sensor fault.

Mine suffered the failure and dealer tried to sting me for a complete ABS/ESP unit weighing in at about £1500 with labour!
Fortunately they do a repair kit so I did it myself for sub £300.

Have a route round in the VCDS forum to see if there is anyone local who can scan your car for you.  :happy2:

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:59 pm »
Ive got the same... dreaded G201 sensor.. Very Common problem that VW usually like to dismiss!
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline tonym1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »
cheers guys will get it on a reader and see what comes up

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
G201 for me aswell. £1500, i dont use it that much it can stay broken. Stevie.

Offline lee_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:07 pm »
...at least until April when ESP warning lights will result in an MOT failure  :surprised:

Get on to VW customer services, they know its a design problem.