Make a donation

Author Topic: DFS deals  (Read 4895 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: DFS deals
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:43 pm »

With some things in life you have to either pony up for quality, or buy cheap and replace often. DFS garbage fits neither.

Agreed, but obviously all depdant on budget

Absolutely, but also what fits the purpose. For instance about 5 years ago a friend bought a sofa from DFS. I berated him for it, but at the time he was having a baby and he felt that buying a really expensive one would be a false economy. So while he couldn't care about his boy throwing up on his sofa I'm grimacing as mine uses our BO Concept corner as a trampoline. Who's having the last laugh there?!

Offline am1w

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:36:50 am »
One of the kids managed to knacker the arm of our sofa playing on the wii.

So it's new sofa time, and wifey being a woman has decided that she also wants new chairs to go with it. So, we've done the tours of the funtiture places over the last few days, suffered the 'wit' of the salesmen and listened to their 'fantastic sale offers' and the usual BS.

DFS are handy, have a massive range and better still do 4 years interest free credit. I don't have a credit card as I like to either pay up front for something or take out interest free offers when available. At least with their big range you can actually sit in the things to see if they're too hard/soft unlike a lot of online retailers or smaller stores.

So, does anyone know of any leeway in DFS prices on top of the sticker prices? Or don't the salesmen have any flexibility in their deals? Typically, despite several visits, the only sofa my missus likes is one with only about £40 off and added to which you have their £45 delivery charge. Grrrr.

I can't find any online vouchers or similar and they don't seem to feature on cashback sites either.

Harveys are out of contention as my in-laws had loads of trouble with them.

Hi Andy.

The last time I went sofa shopping was on 2nd Jan 2011 which was the day before I fell down the stairs on a 92 double decker bus stopping suddenly on Wesminster Bridge with my grandchild in tow and ended up having shoulder surgery on the 9th Nov 2011! In fact, the accident happened an hour after I'd met up with SteveP! I remember that day well. All around this time last year.
I think I'll avoid sofa shopping. But then again, does lightening strike twice?
Hmmm, I think I'll give it a miss as my shoulder says NO!
If I do summon up the courage, it will either be Harrods (Arabs) Sale or John Lewis.
Wish me luck.

Asker
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:53:18 am by am1w »
Wolfgang: Tornado Red Mk6 GTI Manually Active 5 Door

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 05:01:53 am »

Hi Andy.

The last time I went sofa shopping was on 2nd Jan 2011 which was the day before I fell down the stairs on a 92 double decker bus stopping suddenly on Wesminster Bridge with my grandchild in tow and ended up having shoulder surgery on the 9th Nov 2011! In fact, the accident happened an hour after I'd met up with SteveP! I remember that day well. All around this time last year.
I think I'll avoid sofa shopping. But then again, does lightening strike twice?
Hmmm, I think I'll give it a miss as my shoulder says NO!
If I do summon up the courage, it will either be Harrods (Arabs) Sale or John Lewis.
Wish me luck.

Asker

Hello Asker, I'm sure you'll be fine this time round - just get a taxi instead of the bus!!

To the DFS haters, our current sofa is one of theirs, it is about seven years old and still in fine condition considering my two kids have more or less grown up with it. It only suffered the arm injury thanks to it being moved to fit the Christmas tree in the room. And the arm isn't actually broken, the leather had just gone a bit thin and cracked where it was whacked with a wii controller at high speed. It is more unsightly than ruined and thus an excuse for wifey to demand a new one.
I've been more than happy with the current sofa so am more than willing to give them another go, but I'm open to all options and suggestions.
All the advice has been taken on board and digested, thanks everybody!

Now, has anyone actually managed to get any extra money off out of DFS?
Andy
7R

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »
We have just ordered a new sofa from DFS. Didn't get any money off but did manage to get them to throw in the premium 5yr cover with a bit of haggling.

I suppose it's like anything in life. People are badge snobs and if something isn't made by a certain company then its apparently sh!t  :indifferent:

Our current sofa & chair are DFS ones and they have lasted 10 years. They have moved house 5 times in that 10 years too. We had it professionally cleaned recently as we had a sootfall and it looked just like new again after it had been cleaned.  It would no doubt last another 10 years but i don't like it anymore so decided it was time to change.

At the end of the day you make your choices and pays your money. Don't be suckered into the, it's not X make so won't last bollocks, as that is purely what it is, Bollocks as our current sofa proves. :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:58:11 pm by vRS Carl »