Make a donation

Author Topic: 12v Socket Fuse  (Read 25069 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
12v Socket Fuse
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »
Bit of a mare tonight fellas with trying to replace this fuse for the 12v cigarette lighter socket, assuming it's the fuse of course. Seems to be having tested my TomTom charger on it which doesn't light up with ignition on or engine started.

I found it by noticing my sub and amp wasn't powered on, everything connected as normal. The active sub runs from the 12v socket in the boot (easy plug and play when I need to remove the subwoofer).

I connected my TomTom Sat Nav charger to it and no power or LED light, therefore assumed the fuse was blown.
Went to Halfords after work having checked the Haynes manual for the relevant fuse (appeared to be a 15A blue fuse) and seeked a replacement. Bizarrely, the Haynes manual and my VW handbook refers to the fuse box being passenger side but mine is drivers side, unless I've missed something?  :confused: The diagrams are also upside down so I can't workout why the diagrams don't match the drivers side fuse box in my 2006 UK vehicle.

Bought one 15A fuse, replaced it, no difference. Bizarrely the engine began to stutter (started engine to make sure) and then cut out. I couldn't then start the car very strangely and the starter motor would just turn over, as though no fuel was getting to the system. I can only assume I mistakenly took out the fuel pump fuse or something equally important to start the engine.

Anyhow, I got back to a position where the car would start (somehow, can't really remember the steps). Strangely I don't think the 15A blue fuse is as I found it when I came to replace it (before I'd touched anything) but none the less, the car starts which is the important thing.

Still no working 12v socket in the boot.
At this point, I tried the front socket and sure enough that's not working either.

I pinpointed what I believe to be the one to replace from the Haynes manual for the front 12v socket. This time it was a green 30A fuse but it popped straight on starting the ignition.

So I'm no better off  :grin:

Is anyone able to please confirm with the fuses I should start with please assuming the front and rear 12v sockets aren't getting power?
I've got a 15A (blue), 20A (yellow) and 30A (green) fuse to play with, all new.

Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: 12v Socket Fuse
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »
Probably not much help but I have a similar issue where neither of my 12v sockets work either, everything else seems fine though. Ill keep an eye on this thread, let me know if you find it is the fuse after all.

Cheers.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
Any guidance of any kind boys and girls, please?

Forgetting the little running issue which is now solved (I think I started the ignition with the fuel pump fuse removed, by sheer mistake of course which caused the start issue on two occasions consecutively), where should I be starting given that the front and boot compartment 12v sockets aren't working?

Am I wasting my time looking for a fuse? I assumed given everything else is electronically sound that it's probably the obvious place to start?

Will run a VCDS scan too for sh*ts and giggles  :smiley:
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:36:22 pm »
More clues - this was sat at the bottom of the front 12v socket. It's from a cheapo Bosnian mini USB car charger replica thing for my HTC Wildfire, about £1.29's worth - which ironically fell apart.

What damage may this have done?  :chicken:
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »
Desperate for any info please guys  :sad1:

If it is a fuse, what fuse # is it and what rating will it be?

If both sockets aren't failing (the orange LED light around the edge of the front socket still works) should I be looking at the cabin fuse box or the battery fuse box?
Pete

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 53
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »
It’s a fuse in the end of the dash, pop the end cover off and check. I can't remember if it's one of the bottom yellow 20 amp fuses or the one above, blue 15 amp. May be different and have changed on model years. Hope this helps.  :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:49 pm »
I think my fuse box is identical to yours, which is useful for starters.

Do I have to replace a 15A with a 15A?
I ask because I think I've only got 2x 30As and a 20A fuses left now.

What year is yours again? I'm a 2006 (06').

Cheers  :happy2:
Pete

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
Replace like for like, so if you removed a 15 amp (blue) replace with the same value or you may overload the circuit. Mine is a 57 reg 08 model edition 30 but would have thought it would be the same but have heard that things did get moved around on different years. You can tell if the fuse has gone as the metal will be missing between the two prongs.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:01:09 pm »
Spot on fella, cheers.

Turned out to be the fuse nearest the drivers seat (boot side) of the two 20a fuses. The middle bit was burnt out which obviously showed it was knackered.

Luckily did have a new 20a spare fuse so whacked it in and all is hunky dorey with the front and rear ones  :happy2:
Even better news is I may have found a blown 30a fuse that caused my headlight washers to not work, which was replaced in my haste on Tuesday night. Not tried them yet but may well be a flukey fix...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:11:08 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »