Make a donation

Author Topic: IN-CAR BREATHALYSERS BECOME COMPULSORY IN FRANCE  (Read 1683 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
IN-CAR BREATHALYSERS BECOME COMPULSORY IN FRANCE
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:34:38 am »
Just spotted this online  :happy2:
Something to be aware of for the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans (or the biennial one for the Classic): From July 1 all drivers in France will be required to carry a breathalyser in the car.
This applies to all cars - so those travelling to or through France, as well as French-registered vehicles. Single-use kits will satisfy the new rule, however, and these will be available at all channel crossings for around £1-£2.

The measures might seem Draconian, but with 31 per cent of all fatalities on the road in France involve drivers above the legal limit, the French are desperate to cut the number of drink-related deaths on the road.

If you do 'forget' to sort out the single-use breath test kits (and the French government recommends you have at least two in the car), you needn't worry this summer - the authorities will only start handing out fines from November onwards. And even then they'll only be 11 euros.

The idea of getting drink-drivers off the roads is of course a thoroughly commendable one, but these measures do seem a little toothless, affecting only the most responsible drivers. This is especially obvious given the fact that the average blood alcohol level in drivers involved in drink-related fatal accidents is 2.25 grams per litre - four-and-a-half times the legal limit in France. Is this legislation going to stop these people? It seems unlikely...

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: IN-CAR BREATHALYSERS BECOME COMPULSORY IN FRANCE
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »
SO, travelling to France you now need:-

bulb sets
Warning Triangle
Breathalyser tests
Hi Vis Vest for each passenger
To pay for using motorways

And if travelling to Alps add to that either snow chains or snowsox, Skiing in Austria never looked so good!! :evilgrin:

NO Hi vis vests, no breathalyser no paying for motorways (and no speed limits for large parts of Autobahn  :evilgrin:).
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:39:41 pm »
So I have to carry one but don't have to use it ? Only the French can dream this stuff up
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »
Best thing, you find me one French person with any off the above, English all driving around wearing yellow jackets :signLOL:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »
To be honest I I did see a few broken down French people when we was in France who had the vests on

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:11 pm »
Typical French,

So, I'm an intoxicated Frenchman (god forbid), it's quite obvious I'm legless on vin rouge as I keep falling over en route to my Citroën.  After finding my car keys and winning a 3 minute battle to fit the key inside the ignition barrel I catch sight of myself in the rear view mirror and it finally dawns on me that I may be over the legal limit to drive. But "efcourse" I remember my trusty, uncalibratrd breath test kit and decide self assessment may be the answer to my pondering question "is it safe to drive".  I blow, it tells me do not drive.... I drive home anyway.

Drink drivers already know they are over the limit, there is a very simple answer to for authorities who are really that concerned, tough penalties in the form of life changing fines and custodial sentences. 

France just got that little bit worse, Hull-Rotterdam case strengthened.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »
More ammunition to go to war with them in my opinion!!

If anything i'll have the backing of all the TT-RS owners so they can trash the Megane factory :evilgrin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
Just tell the cheese eating surrender monkeys that there is a war on with Germany and they will soon align themselves to the German way of thinking  :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »
sort of thing you expect from a bunch of garlic munching surrender monkeys

can see those ferry companies and euro tunnel robbing you blind for these

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:51 pm »
Just tell the cheese eating surrender monkeys that there is a war on with Germany and they will soon align themselves to the German way of thinking  :evilgrin:

When i was living in Munich a couple of years ago the Mayor of Munich used to say the blood alcohol limit should be raised so that you could have 2 Mass (1 litre mug) and still be allowed to drive home.   :grin: :grin:

This was at the same time as the Police were cracking down on cyclists for drinking and riding, and if you produced your driving licence as i.d you got the points on that licence.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

h4rdy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »
More ammunition to go to war with them in my opinion!!

If anything i'll have the backing of all the TT-RS owners so they can trash the Megane factory :evilgrin:

Al Murray said in one of his shows that PAYE was brought in to fund the war against France. I have read that else where as well.

Any country that thinks boiling a calves head is a delicacy should be invaded: Tête de veau.

After you have ordered that try Andoulette! It makes Hot Dog Sausages seem like Sausages hand made by Jamie Oliver in your house exactly how you want them.

Back on topic, drink drivers are drink drivers end of. They do not care about breath tests just evasion.

I imagine a French MP has links with the company who makes the kits! Did I just say that out loud!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

This was at the same time as the Police were cracking down on cyclists for drinking and riding, and if you produced your driving licence as i.d you got the points on that licence.
[/quote]

I remember years back when I was around 18 it was "Fashionable" for lots of tradesmen to go work on the Isle of man for 6-12 months (or longer) and when there they were told to apply for an IOM driving License (once applied/received you kept it) and if you got stopped for speeding in UK or other driving offense you simply sent in your IOM license for points and hey presto no points on your UK license  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:10:48 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14