Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change Turbo Discharge and Intercooler pipes on 2.0 TSi  (Read 15842 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Ok here's another Tutorial. This is done on a MK2 Skoda Octavia FL vRS but i would imagine the process is the same or pretty similar for all 2.0 TSi Engines. I have had a look round on the net and not been able to find a tutorial for this. You do get instructions but the pics on it are quite small. I must stress that this is for a 2.0 TSi engine (Codes CCZA, CCTA, CBFA) and NOT a TFSI. However having done this on my previous TFSi the process is very similar.

Before i start the usual disclaimer

NEITHER I NOR MK5GolfGTI WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU UNDERTAKE THE PROCESS DETAILED BELOW AND SOMETHING GOES WRONG. YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Here we go,

Items Required:

http://www.neuspeed.com/243/0/0/1615/480268-hi-flo-air-charge-pipe-eliminates-oe-sound-amplifer.html

http://www.neuspeed.com/243/0/0/1619/480271-hi-flo-turbo-discharge-conversion-tsi.html

They are available from Awesome-GTi (although i can't access the website at the time of writing) for £285 for the pair. Again these are for 2.0TSi engine's only.

Tools Required:

Trolley Jack
Axle Stands
Wheel Wrench & Socket
7mm Hex Socket
8mm Hex Socket
T20 Torx bit
T25 Torx bit
T30 Torx bit
Ratchet to fit the above
Extension bar for Ratchet
Flat bladed screwdriver.

First this to do then i Jack the car up and put on Axle Stands. I would not recommend doing this on either the Supplied Jack or even a trolley jack alone.

Remove the under tray. I never photographed this as i know the under trays are slightly different on a Golf/Octavia. However there are 4 T25 Torx screws either side near the wheels and 3 T30 Torx screws at the rear of the tray (nearest bit to the back of the car). Remove these and the two holding the wheel arch liner to the bumper.

Remove Driver's side wheel

Now remove the wheel arch liner. There are 5 T25 Torx screws that hold it in place.

4 in the positions indicated by the holes here

And 1 more here near the top

Remove the wheel arch liner and you will now have access to the Discharge pipe.

Now remove the 2 retaining clips using a flat bladed screw driver. 1 holding the Intercooler Pipe in place and 1 holding it to the Turbo.

Now using a T30 Torx bit undo the 2 silver bolts and remove the discharge pipe by first disconnecting the intercooler hose and then pulling off from the turbo.

Which will leave you with this

Next carefully remove the seal from the existing discharge pipe and place on the neuspeed adaptor. I used a trim tool but you can use a screwdriver if careful.

Now fit the Adaptor to the turbo exit and replace the retaining clip.

Now attach the piece of Silicone Hosing and hold in place with one of the supplied Jubilee Clamps

Next remove the 2 Bolts and rubber bungs from the OEM Discharge Pipe and place into the holes in the Neuspeed one.

Here is a pic of the differences with the 2 pipes

Now it is a case of fitting the pipe.

Insert the pipe into the silicone hose and connect the Intercooler hose. Put the retaining clip on the intercooler hose end and secure the silicone hose end with the remaining jubilee clamp. Once that is done tighten up the 2 T30 Torx Bolts

Voila all done

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: How to change Turbo Discharge and Intercooler pipes on 2.0 TSi
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:04 pm »
Now for the Intercooler pipe

Firstly remove the top of the Air intake and the connecting pipe.

Undo the bottom jubilee clamp using a 7mm socket on the IC Pipe to Throttle Body connecting hose.

Again with a 7mm Socket undo the clamp for the interloper hose and disconnect the hose by pulling off.

There are 2 T30 Bolts holding the pipe in place on the front of the engine

One at the top which will require the extension bar

And one at the bottom which is easy to get at

Next disconnect the MAP Sensor

Then remove the pipe by pulling down and twisting clockwise to get the top arm past the coolant pipes and and fans.

Here you can see the differences again

Next using a T20 Torx bit remove the MAP Sensor and place it on the neuspeed pipe with the connector facing down. You get 2 6mm Allen Screws to fit it with.

Once that is done then remove a bolt and rubber bung as before and place into the arm of the neuspeed pipe

Once that is done fit the by guiding up from underneath into the the Throttle Body hose. I lubed the edge with a little bit of oil to facilitate. Then connect the Intercooler hose. Tighten up the jubilee clamps at both ends. Once that is done then fix the pipe to the engine using the bottom hole ( the arm will guide you to the right place) DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

Once that is done reconnect the MAP Sensor Connection and re assemble the intake piping

Voila

Comments good or bad welcome. It took me to do both pipes today, including taking pictures, 1hr 30 mins. You could easily do both inside an hour.

The bit you will all want to know is what benefits they bring. Well probably not much. When i did this on the TFSi i got an extra 4bhp and 8-10lb/ft from the discharge pipe alone. So with both you may get 5-6bhp and 10-12lb/ft.

But that isn't the point. As you can see from the OEM pipes they don't aid airflow very well and this is all about smoothing out the flow of air making it more efficient. Once i get the S3 Cooler on next week i will be pretty much sorted on the car.

The reason i did this is because when i had an intake fitted i was getting a high pitched whine of air escaping somewhere all the pipe connections where sound so this only left the actual pipes themselves. Intake will be re fitted on monday to see if it solved the problem.

Any questions feel free to ask. :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:36:15 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline Ashley g

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Durward's Autoshop
    • Email
Re: How to change Turbo Discharge and Intercooler pipes on 2.0 TSi
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:34:42 am »
Brilliant write up!!
2007 Edition 30, build number 30 - APR Stealth TBE - APR HPFP- APR stage 2 remap - Custom CAI - KW Clubsports - 10mm spacers on rear - VW Motorsport LSD, clutch & quick shift - A few poly bushes here and there!

*SOLD AND I MISS IT!! ANYONE SELLING A NICE ED30 PM ME* - UPDATE - I HAVE IT BACK!!!