Make a donation

Author Topic: Is it worth buying a steering lock  (Read 7922 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Is it worth buying a steering lock
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »
Although i use the APR Anti-Theft i still use this as well

It has the longest attack time and even if they can now get past it quicker it offers a visual deterrent to the opportunist thief.

Whats the APR Anti-Theft Carl? Is it map/ecu related? like the sps switch on revo's?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 12:35:08 am »
We tried those in South Africa many years ago. Waste of time, they just saw trough the steering wheel, which is surprisingly quick and easy, and remove it. Bottom line is, if they want it, they will steal it. Best option at the end of the day after trying those, gearlocks, etc. etc. was to have a tracker fitted. If the car moves without the activation fob, they pick it up straight away and notify you to find out if the movement of the vehicle is authorised. In fact, years ago, any car over a certain value had to have Tracker fitted or they wouldn't insure you.

Not sure how it works in the UK, but I should imagine it would be very similar.

:happy2:

Save for a tracker

Whats the APR Anti-Theft Carl? Is it map/ecu related? like the sps switch on revo's?

Yes it's map related. Tho I think they're a bad idea. A professional car thief is just going to come back into your house and threaten you or a member of your family until they you tell them how it works.

If they want to take it they will. I'd rather be out of harm's way and either recover the car later with a tracker or get my insurance to pay out. After all, that's what insurance is for and a car (as much as we love them) is completely replaceable. A person is not.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:49:24 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:59 am »

Yes it's map related. Tho I think they're a bad idea. A professional car thief is just going to come back into your house and threaten you or a member of your family until they you tell them how it works.

If they want to take it they will. I'd rather be out of harm's way and either recover the car later with a tracker or get my insurance to pay out. After all, that's what insurance is for and a car (as much as we love them) is completely replaceable. A person is not.

I take it you don't lock your car then and you just leave it open with the keys in it? A professional car thief would remove the car without needing to get into your house. If they did happen to have come in to get the keys, by the time they had gone outisde, realised they can't start the car and then come back the police would have been called. Plus they can't get into my house if they are trying to nick it from Morrisons car park  :laugh:

Carlo - It works in a similar vane the REVO Anti-theft in that it disables the accelerator. So although the car would start they couldn't drive anywhere. The added bonus with the APR is that the engine light flashes whilst it is enabled which would make them think it was fcuked. :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:06 am »

I take it you don't lock your car then and you just leave it open with the keys in it? A professional car thief would remove the car without needing to get into your house. If they did happen to have come in to get the keys, by the time they had gone outisde, realised they can't start the car and then come back the police would have been called. Plus they can't get into my house if they are trying to nick it from Morrisons car park  :laugh:

Carlo - It works in a similar vane the REVO Anti-theft in that it disables the accelerator. So although the car would start they couldn't drive anywhere. The added bonus with the APR is that the engine light flashes whilst it is enabled which would make them think it was fcuked. :happy2:

Cheers Carl  :happy2:

The flashing engine light is a good feature  :smiley:

Is it possible to get a reduction in your insurance premium for having the APR/Revo anti theft option?
I always inform my insurers of my mods but I always forget to mention the Revo SPS anti theft function, which could save me money  :ashamed:

It's quite a good deterrent really and there should be a reduction surely?

What's the odds, if I call Tony at green light, that they will lower my premium?

Thing is... It's been payed in full, so I doubt they will send me a cheque  :grin:

Guess its a matter of trying to remember such things before renewing the policy!  :booty:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:38 am »
^^^

I've just recently renewed my insurance too and forgot to mention the Revo sps switch. :ashamed: Wondering if it's worth phoning them and telling them, but like you said as it's all paid for in full, I doubt they'd refund anything.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »
Some insurance companies do lower the Premium & some don't

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »
Although i use the APR Anti-Theft i still use this as well

It has the longest attack time and even if they can now get past it quicker it offers a visual deterrent to the opportunist thief.

I use the same discklok in mine, the small version fits perfectly.

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline jameelno1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
  • TDI Power
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:30:50 pm »
i dont bother with a steering lock anymore use to use one but now my insurance company put a gps tracker in for free btw for anybody who wants to know the company is coverbox  :happy2:
golf mk5 1.9 tdi

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 04:54:29 pm »
i dont bother with a steering lock anymore use to use one but now my insurance company put a gps tracker in for free btw for anybody who wants to know the company is coverbox  :happy2:

Wonder if I can talk Greenlight or Sky into putting a tracker in mine for free  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
Or, just buy a Jetta TFSi. Real sleeper, nobody wants to steal a Jetta. I hope......... :laugh: And basically get all the benefits of a GTi, but with a big boot.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:27 pm »
Most scum who steal cars are opportunists so anything that makes it harder for them and will make them move onto the next car can only be a good thing.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
Got a quote yesterday of £395+VAT from these guys http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/contact/uk.asp
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:03 am »
Got a quote yesterday of £395+VAT from these guys http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/contact/uk.asp

You managed to get a quote? I've been contacting them for months and they haven't gotten back to me
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:28 am »

You managed to get a quote? I've been contacting them for months and they haven't gotten back to me

Yup, emailed them sunday night out of curiosity. That was for a five door.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers