Make a donation

Author Topic: Broken rear spring :(  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Broken rear spring :(
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:15:32 am »
So had a clonking noise coming from the rear of my car for a while now, diagnosed to be a broken rear spring. £56+vat per spring from VW was cheapest I could get. So had a think.... Might as well get lowering springs instead. Any recommendations on which ones I should go for? I was thinking Eibach Pro kit, lowering springs. Don't really want the car too low to be honest.

Was also thinking if I get lowering springs, would it be best to get the whiteline bump steer kit too? Eibachs only lower the car by 15mm so not too much.

Cars done 88,000 miles now. Would it be smart to get new dampers as well or shld it be ok with just springs?

Any advice appreciated :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Broken rear spring :(
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:35:20 am »
What's "best" for you depends what you want to achieve. But beware the slippery slope of modding!  :evilgrin:

Eibach Pro-Kit works well with KoniFSD dampers (check with Koni for compatibility) - The FSD's are SMART and adjust the ride hardness automatically. They stiffen up the suspension enough to take hard edges off. They work well with aftermarket ARB's but will not do as much as a coilover will. I've had FSD's and now have KW V3 coilovers.

I don't think that any of the Whiteline mods will be worth it unless you drive enthusiastically (when conditions are safe to).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:22 am »
My plans were to keep my car standard but plans have now changed :laugh:

Still want to keep it fairly stock tho...

If am honest don't really want to upgrade to new dampers, as I'm happy with the setup on the stock car as it is. Car will never see track either, I do like a spirited drive now and again. Main reason I got the WALK. So really for the time being I'm happy with springs. What's ones the Q. Never heard anything bad about the Eibach Pro, just not sure if they will sit the car low enough to warrant the WBSC...?

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:17 pm »
Also apart from the Eibach sportline lowering the car around 100mm more. Any other differences between that & the Pro Kit? What do ppl recommend?

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »
Also apart from the Eibach sportline lowering the car around 100mm more. Any other differences between that & the Pro Kit? What do ppl recommend?

100mm !!  :surprised: :grin:

Depends how low you want to go I suppose, I think most people go for the Sportlines though cos the Pro kit doesn't look much different to stock height. I've just recently had my Sportlines fitted (stock shocks) and it's lower than I imagined, I'm glad I didn't go for H&R's, would've been too low for my liking. Seems like the Pro kit will lower the Gti by another 15mm where as the Sportline will lower it 20-25mm.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
I meant to say 10mm not 100mm :laugh:  blame auto correct on my iPad :fighting:

Do u have any clearance issues with the sportlines fitted? For getting a jack under or onto Ramps etc....

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »
I meant to say 10mm not 100mm :laugh:  blame auto correct on my iPad :fighting:

Do u have any clearance issues with the sportlines fitted? For getting a jack under or onto Ramps etc....

Only had them on for a couple of days so not sure but I can't see it'll cause many problems. Just need to keep reminding myself not to bump off kerbs etc. :scared:
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »
How does the ride quality feel with the sportlines, quite a bit harder? Thinking I might go for the PRO springs as I imagine these to be closest to stock spring rates and shld give a slightly better ride than the sportlines and hopefully oem

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 02:06:00 pm »
Ride quality feels not much different to before, only very slightly harder I'd say, only notice it when going over bumps etc otherwise fine. :smiley:

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »
I've got H&R 35mm lowering springs and I think they're pretty spot on really, its an option that sit between the eibach options (height wise)
Personally I think the drop is just about perfect, I certainly wouldn't want it any higher
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »
Think I'm gonna go for the pro springs. Don't offer much of a drop but from what I've read they will offer best ride quality and performance.  :smiley: