Make a donation

Author Topic: Silly question ? Coil overs  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Silly question ? Coil overs
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:47 pm »
Hi guys, sorry if this is a really silly question, but as my Golf is nearly 6 years old, I'm thinking that the original shocks might be getting a little tired (although they dont appear to be leaking and passed an MOT).

Having thought for a while that I didn't like the stance of the car (too much gap in the arches) I was thinking about a set of coil overs. A question popped into my head though. The front suspension of the Golf is obviously McPherson struts, so coil overs would be a pretty much a straight swap, but the rears have separate shocks and springs. If fitting coil overs, does the rear spring under the wishbones become redundant and removed ?

If not coil overs, then what has everyone else used to get the stance correct? Just new springs or springs and shocks ? Any makes and brands that are recommended ?

Finally, being an old fart, I don't want a ride that bone shakingly hard, I still need some comfort. Is this a tall order or is there a set that would give the best of both worlds (bearing in mind the car runs 18's).

Cheers

Andrew

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Silly question ? Coil overs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:35 pm »
IMO opinion Andrew I woud'nt bother with coilovers.

I'd go for springs and shocks. The chances are you'll set the coilovers and never adjust them again anyway!!

I'm saying this assuming you won't be doing any track days ect? You just want to close the arch gap and give yourself a little more confidence in the corners?

I have H+R springs going on mine with standard shocks but if/when the shocks go I'll upgrade to sports shocks.

Springs were only £200 much the same as a VERY cheap set of coilovers.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »
Cheers Lee, food for thought. What's the ride quality like on the new springs?

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
For decent coilovers for everyday driving look at the Bilstein options, they are fantastic. Eibach coilovers are good but I found them a bit soft, if having adjustable ride height isnt important then look at the Bilstein B12 kit.

Most coilovers are just front units as genuine coilovers but with adjustable platforms that sit under the rear springs in the original position.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »
Their due to go on next week Andrew.

I did alot of research much like you are now and all the people I spoke to said they were like OEM but felt much better in the corners.

Should give me a 25-30mm drop. The only thing is now Iv fallen for some 19" split rims and I'm not sure how they'll fair with that drop.........
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:11:16 am »
all depends how much you want to drop the car really!i went for kw coil overs as shocks and springs wonidn't be low enough for what i was after

Offline ni-coilovers.co.uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • stores.ebay.co.uk/ni-coilovers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
Got for the coilovers and get it sitting low. 

I just ordered FK Sport Edition Plus for mine.  When they are fitted Ill get the pics up.  I choose FK as I am a dealer for them and they make good products at good prices.  I will sort the guys on this site out with come really good prices if your interested.  Not the usual few pounds off but a real goo discount.

You will prob want a 50mm drop at least.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:03:35 am »
Hi Andrew,

I'd go for a Bilstein B12 as PDT said, complete coils and shocks when your
old shocks are a little bit tired.

B12 provides ride comfort almost like stock, but with improved handling.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Adamtattooed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »
I have h and r springs on mine and the ride is brilliant. I just wish it was a little lower, for this reason I am getting coils ASAP, I am not a fast driver and I don't do track days but I want it to look amazing some think it's worth the money
ED30 tornado red, 3 door, carbonia intake, osir engine cover, h&r springs (ordered) Milltek cat back (ordered)