Make a donation

Author Topic: strange noise from dashboard help  (Read 1352 times)

scottm72

strange noise from dashboard help
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
hi guys, starting to notice 2 strange noises on my 1 week owned gti, strange but i will try to explain, firstly this noise is there with air on / off,,, grills open / closed,,, makes no difference.
it is coming from the area around the drivers right hand side front air vent,,, it is like an air blowing noise that is always there ( but ) it dissapears every time i so much as tap the brake pedal,,,, even if i just touch the peddle with my foot with only enough pressure to put the brake lights on but with no stopping pressure ??? its mad and i cannot figure out what the heck it is.
has been doing it since i got the car and it does it all the time 24/7 and is always silent as soon as i touch the brake pedal,,,,, man does anyone know what this is as it is totally crazy and doing my head in now trying to figure it out,,, is it just a characteristic of the gti ?
second sound i am getting is not linked,,,, it is coming from the left hand side of the dash where tha passenger air bag is,,,, i can only hear it when i am sitting idle,,, it sounds like a flapping noise behind that area of the dash, does it for a few secons then stops,,,, wait 10 seconds or so and then it does it again,,, this carries on all the time ???? absolutelly stumped on this one as well
any help anyone has would be nice
thanks

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
Re: strange noise from dashboard help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:50:36 pm »
may not be this, however it is very common for two screws (1 either side) of the car to be loose and cause a vibration. If you open driver or passenger door, and pull off the D shaped plastic cover on the side of the dash ther is a screw that goes into the dash (towards the screen) and it tends to work itself loose - has driven many many of us crazy until someone worked out what it was  :signLOL:

may not be your cause, but never know if it is linked.  :happy2:
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:43 pm »
thanks, will keep that in mind, not linked to my noise but i will remember for later date if it comes up

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:51 pm »
I'm thinking your passenger side noise sounds like the climate control doing its movement but not as perhaps it should be
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:13 pm »
I'm thinking your passenger side noise sounds like the climate control doing its movement but not as perhaps it should be
i thought it might be something like that but it happens when the climate is completelly off,,,, it is def linked to the brake pedal, man i just touch it and every time it goes away but back on as soon as i take my foot of the pedal ?

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:59 am »
If you get a chance whip off the surround around the radio and the vent on top of the dash and tighten up any screw you can see. Ive had mine off a few times to find loose bolts  :rolleye: You'll see that the when vents close there is a very thin piece of foam that goes around the edge of the flap that opens behind the vents/grill. These seem to perish very quickly with lots of use. Also, might be worth removing the glovebox and checking for loose screws. If the previous owner has stored anything heavy in there it will work the screws loose. I had this on my old bora and edition30.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers