Make a donation

Author Topic: rcd 500 trouble  (Read 1556 times)

Offline b16vrg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
rcd 500 trouble
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
The other half came home the other night and said there was no sound coming out of the stereo. So went out to have a look and the display showed the cd's were playing, switched it to radio and everything seemed to be ok but no sound. the screen then changed brightness a few times. I got out and locked the car and noticed  the stereo stayed on :stupid: After about a minute it went off, but came out the next morning and the battery was flat. Does this mean a new head unit?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: rcd 500 trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:51 am »
That's odd and may be the first signs of something amiss in the HU.

Not sure if a vcds scan would pinpoint matters further but it's worth a shot.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:05:20 am »
Have you got an older gen car with the wrong CAN BUS... there's lots of info on the drained battery issue and RCD/RNS models with earlier cars.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:02:01 am »
Have you got an older gen car with the wrong CAN BUS... there's lots of info on the drained battery issue and RCD/RNS models with earlier cars.

He has a second generation rcd 500 that had no battery drain issues. It's the third generation units combined with an early version canbus gateway that leads to battery drain issues.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:50:00 am »

He has a second generation rcd 500 that had no battery drain issues. It's the third generation units combined with an early version canbus gateway that leads to battery drain issues.   :smiley:

Ah good to know :)  Do the second gen units have a particular model code to look for?  As this is one of the reasons that's put me off upgrading.

To OP: Are there any obvious signs of split wiring at the back of the HU.. check the fuse box etc.

Offline b16vrg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
The car is out with Roy at Autobarn and he plugged it it and reckons the head unit is foobard. Just seems strange that it happened all of a sudden!! Just hope if i go and  get another new head that this will actually be the problem

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »
Shame you can't test one to check

Offline b16vrg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
True, but I suppose if I buy another unit and it still makes no difference I can just sell it on and hope to recover costs. Think ive just convinced myself this is the best method :signLOL:

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »
True, but I suppose if I buy another unit and it still makes no difference I can just sell it on and hope to recover costs. Think ive just convinced myself this is the best method :signLOL:

If you buy a 2nd gen, I may be interested in buying it from you, if it doesn't work out.  :happy2:

Offline b16vrg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 07:32:49 am »
What do you mean by 2nd gen? So many different models its doing my head in :signLOL: I have found 1 on here so gonna give that a go

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »
What do you mean by 2nd gen? So many different models its doing my head in :signLOL: I have found 1 on here so gonna give that a go

post#4 in this thread.

Offline b16vrg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:20:18 pm »
Oh yeah, ok :happy2: Its been fine for the last 2 years ive had it so hopefully just the head unit. The car must of heard my misses saying it needs to go!!