Make a donation

Author Topic: Reverse camera for MK5  (Read 7002 times)

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
Reverse camera for MK5
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:19:25 am »
Is there a number plate light type reverse camera anyone can recommend for quality/ value?

Offline SL03 JOE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Reverse camera for MK5
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:03:47 am »
I thought it was under Neath the boot VW badge?

Joe
2006, silver, 5 door, top spec, low miles MKV GTI for sale - looking for offers above 9k!

Joe.

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:02 am »
I thought it was under Neath the boot VW badge?

Joe

Sorry I should have been more clear- I don't the expense of the OEM setup.

There are cheaper number plate light types on ebay such as below but I don't know which one to choose for MK5 compatibility...

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:59 am »
I bought a cheap china version off ebay. Not fitted it yet but im lead to believe it wont work with the rns-510

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Re: Reverse camera for MK5
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:49:03 am »
Compatibility is obviously dependant on fitment PLUS what stereo you have,  if you have a VW stereo the video input standard is RGB most aftermarket stereos use composite video signal which is also what that cheap camera will be.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:38 am »
Have this on its way. Want to fit it over Christmas and wanted to order the camera to go with it:

Dynavin

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »
Have had a few number plate cameras in my old mk5, they work well for the money - such as item 251035963563 on ebay.
Sorry I have no pictures though.

Few small things to bear in mind.

- They usually come with 3/4 SMD bulbs so you might want to change your other number plate light to an SMD white festton to colour match.

- The LEDs from the camera don't get full coverage as the lens portion blocks light a touch, so you may have a shadow bit on your number plate depending on how far up it is attached.

- They usually last about a year or so before the lens gets cracked with a stone, moisture ingress or an LED goes. However every year they get cheaper to buy and once installed you don't have to redo wiring to the HU.

- Rather than chop your number plate plug, go to VW and buy a plug with two repair wires and solder this onto the camera wiring, it makes it plug&play without touching factory wire. Also gives it a solid connection to make sure it gets power/earth. If you change camera then you only have to chop this repair wire and solder it to the new one.
(Take a number plate light socket into dealer so they can look up part number of plug,  the socket is an old, old part used on many VAG cars).

- The VGA cable that comes with them is like spaghetti and is very flimsy. Install something liek ebay 230862407159 (big fat VGA cable) and you'll only have to do it once. Same goes for power wires, use a good quality one and you'll not have to chase them out again or have intermittent power issues. Also, a mk5 fitment HU will likely have a canbus adaptor so run the wires to the HU loom for automatic reverse activation, rather than into rear light cabling.

- The camera itself - you want a CCD version not CMOS. The picture is very good but sometimes they'll have guide lines or markings that can't be turned off, that mean nothing.
One like ebay 150950073865 is not good as the camera block is too big and may protrude over letters on your plate, depending how high up it is, plus it's even less discrete.

- The cameras can be quite generic in fitment, and some require a bit of thought to attach. The one I linked to has a similar fitment to an OEM light fitting (tab on one end and a springly clip the other) but with these retainers being a tad offset it isn't held 100%, but if it comes with a sticky tape rectangle surround then it's less of an issue.
Some have two holes to screw upwards, in the mk5 this is screwing into thin air! So you may need the bumper off and put some plastic behind it for something to screw into, and thus have a clamping effect.

So, it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and tells you to fit a mk6 camera and that the RNS510 is the best HU ever, well that's great if you want to spend that much. Otherwise give it a bash it'll only set you back £20 and a couple of hours.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:20:55 pm by skard »
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »
^^^ Great info there!

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »
Fantastic info skard, really concise - just was I was looking for.

Yes it would be great to have the OEM set up but to be honest the reverse camera is a bit of a gimmick for me so don't want to spend too much.

I already have LED number plate lights so this would be spot on.

Is this: 251035963563 really Sony product?

Great advice about the wiring too and the plugs. But running the wire from behind the bumper, is that a bumper off job? And where did you run it along the cars interior?

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47:40 pm »
I doubt what most of those sellers state (they just bulk buy usually) but the picture quality is good.

You either need the bumper off, or the lower valance, unless you have mega skinny hands/arms but think you'll still need the bumper off to push tge wires through the boot grommet.

You can run wires up under the seats, or remove side floor panels. See guides for ICE installs but try keep wires away from speaker cables
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
Fantastic info skard, really concise - just was I was looking for.

Yes it would be great to have the OEM set up but to be honest the reverse camera is a bit of a gimmick for me so don't want to spend too much.

I already have LED number plate lights so this would be spot on.

Is this: 251035963563 really Sony product?

Great advice about the wiring too and the plugs. But running the wire from behind the bumper, is that a bumper off job? And where did you run it along the cars interior?

I bought that camera you have linked so it may work after all!