Make a donation

Author Topic: Jessops enter Administration  (Read 1694 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Jessops enter Administration
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »

It wouldnt be a RedRobin post if it didnt have a sh*t picture to accompany it. Ahhh, how much time have i wasted in my life scrolling past them. Can anyone enlighten me?

Just kidding Robin!!  :laugh:

.... :laugh: I'm sorry! I am hardwired into 'illustrating' my posts.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »
i think in in the current climate you want good value with good customer service, Jessops lost their way on that front unfortunately

mrs w company delivers apprenticeship programmes in a number of retailers and i get the horror stories of where to avoid

Offline Craig123

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »
I can see this situation repeated with many consumer retail shops where the internet can#t be matched for price..

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 02:40:34 pm »
^^^^
I'm the same - I only buy anything online as a very last resort even if it appears to cost less to shop online. In reality it doesn't always cost less by the time you have added shipping.

When I bought my Aquapac for my camera I phoned the local chandler I know in Weymouth harbour. He didn't have them in stock but checked his supplier, phoned me back within half-an-hour, offered to match the online price to include shipping and I paid him by Debit Card. He had it sent direct to me by his supplier - It arrived the next day and that was during the very busy christmas period too.

^ When I bought the camera (leather case on my belt) I went into a local camera shop in Dorchester and had a chat and look at various options. It cost me more than online but she threw in the leather case for free. When I went back to her a few weeks later for a tripod, she did me a deal. And yes, the fact that she was pretty and very friendly with a good sense of humour did make my whole shopping experience that much more enjoyable. Sorry, no pics of her to post though.

I totally agree Robin. By the time you've waited in for the 'convenient window' of between 8am and 1pm, Or had to go down to the Royalmail collection 48 hours later, any financial saving made is far over-shadowed by the misery of home delivery.  :indifferent:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »

It wouldnt be a RedRobin post if it didnt have a sh*t picture to accompany it. Ahhh, how much time have i wasted in my life scrolling past them. Can anyone enlighten me?

Just kidding Robin!!  :laugh:

.... :laugh: I'm sorry! I am hardwired into 'illustrating' my posts.

Don't stop your illustrations Robin! They often brighten up a very dull thread, or enhance a good one!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »
Have to say I was a very early adopter to Internet buying but I rarely buy anything online these days. Got so sick of sorry you were out cards and wasting fuel and time driving to depots that I'd rather go to a shop and buy it at a till and go home. I only buy items that I can't get in my local area on the net these days.

Will be a sad day when we can't go to the shops anymore

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »
I'm predominately Internet based, although I have stuff delivered to a usually reliable business address.

On a number of occasions in the past I've wasted fuel visiting 'the shops' and being charged a fair whack for parking to leave town without what I was looking for.

Greedy parking charges are also to blame for the high streets decline imo.

Jessops and electronics retailers were always going to lose to the internet and some of them certainly didn't help themselves or change strategy quick enough it seems.

The high street will retain clothes/department stores/Boots in the future I would think.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »
...and they're gone. Announcement at 1654 on a Friday afternoon that they were ceasing trading effective immediately.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20992125

No fire sale or anything. And if they owe you money, you're screwed.
http://www.jessops.com/
  • Gift vouchers – Gift cards and vouchers are unable to be honoured, Jessops will not be trading on-line or via the store network.
  • Pre-paid orders / deposits – Customers who have ordered and paid for all or part of their stock either in store or online will not receive their stock purchase. Customers who have paid using credit cards should contact their credit card company to try and seek resolution to this matter. (!)
  • Repairs – Where possible customers should liaise with the repair agent to arrange return of their asset and third party repair agents have been notified about this... Please note that the estimate of the costs of repair will need to be agreed with the repair agents directly, and there is no guarantee that previously agreed estimate costs will be honoured by the repair agents.
  • Photo / photo product orders – Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee the return of photo orders that have not been collected in store by the end of trading on Friday 11 January... For uncollected photos we will ask for these to be disposed of as confidential information.

Et cetera, et cetera.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:54:30 pm by cmdrfire »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=16h4b11pelph4a4qtp0s6j6rfb&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
Blimey.. that was sudden. They must have been really in the sh*t