Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle lane motorway drivers!!  (Read 7825 times)

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Middle lane motorway drivers!!
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »
The motorway has an inside lane and then two or three over taking lanes.

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:21 pm »
I spent most of my journey home tonight being blinded by badly fitted HID headlights.
Now I dont want to offend anyone who has them on here but they are F**king annoying
A Seat Ibiza decided to overtake, slowdown, overtake and slowdown again and again and again. No matter what speed i did (got down to 60 at one point) This car still went slower.
My rear view mirror was dimmed down but can you make it darker??

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Peppermuncher

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2013, 12:35:48 am »
Hmmmm! I think people need to take other elements into this discussion.

When the first motorway was built in the 1950s (I think), I don't think they took into consideration the growth of the amount of vehicles there will be on the road. Hence the motorways weren't designed for the modern volume of traffic. We need to take into consideration the initial traffic compared to now? How much and the distanced travelled by people commuting to work compared to now? The amount of haulage upon the roads at any one time?

I think just the fact that there are more cars more often on the roads means that the 1st lane cannot accommodate the traffic alone so the 2nd lane has now to be used.

In countries like America and China they are more aware of the traffic burden and have built larger 'super highways'

Just my thoughts, again not defending middle lane hoggers.  :stupid:

Let the abuse begin.  :mad:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:58 am »

When the first motorway was built in the 1950s (I think), I don't think they took into consideration the growth of the amount of vehicles there will be on the road. Hence the motorways weren't designed for the modern volume of traffic. We need to take into consideration the initial traffic compared to now? How much and the distanced travelled by people commuting to work compared to now? The amount of haulage upon the roads at any one time?

I think just the fact that there are more cars more often on the roads means that the 1st lane cannot accommodate the traffic alone so the 2nd lane has now to be used.

In countries like America and China they are more aware of the traffic burden and have built larger 'super highways'

....No, you are right about the original motorways. Also the UK rarely spends enough money on transport infrastructures with a longer term future in mind, unlike the French for example. However, in my opinion, middle lane hogging is only acceptable when the inside lane is not free enough of traffic to allow SAFE swopping of lanes as you make progress overtaking.

It's not safe to cause others to brake while you cut in and out just to grab the inside lane. You should always use the inside lane when you consider it safe to do so. However, when I see a junction with slip roads, unless there's a huge area of visibility, I usually swop lanes to leave the inside lane free for those vehicles joining from the slip road.

Isn't all this common sense?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:07 am »

....No, you are right about the original motorways. Also the UK rarely spends enough money on transport infrastructures with a longer term future in mind, unlike the French for example. However, in my opinion, middle lane hogging is only acceptable when the inside lane is not free enough of traffic to allow SAFE swopping of lanes as you make progress overtaking.

It's not safe to cause others to brake while you cut in and out just to grab the inside lane. You should always use the inside lane when you consider it safe to do so. However, when I see a junction with slip roads, unless there's a huge area of visibility, I usually swop lanes to leave the inside lane free for those vehicles joining from the slip road.

Isn't all this common sense?

You would have thought so but obviously not based on what we witness on the motorways currently.

Some good points in those posts :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »
having just completed a round trip from central Scotland > Somerset, the amount of 'repmobile' middle lane hoggers was shocking...and I mean when there were no vehicles in the left-hand lane for miles at a time. Pity I was in a company vehicle  :fighting:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Kiwi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:27 pm »
having just completed a round trip from central Scotland > Somerset, the amount of 'repmobile' middle lane hoggers was shocking...and I mean when there were no vehicles in the left-hand lane for miles at a time. Pity I was in a company vehicle  :fighting:

I find the M6 Toll road the worst place for this behavior

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:30 pm »

I find the M6 Toll road the worst place for this behavior

Not sure if you can say that the M6 toll road is the worst, I think the culture of middle laners is present on all motorways.
Tomorrow I will be travelling from Somerset to Crawley and will drive on M5,M4,M3,M25 and the M23 and back again and I bet that all of them have the same middle lane culture. It will be different cars, drivers of different ages but they all like to middle lane drive.

Someone once said on here "Boils my piss" and this driving habit does every time i do this journey.

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come