Make a donation

Author Topic: Help Needed !!! - Abrupt Down-shift In DSG Drive mode  (Read 1772 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
Help Needed !!! - Abrupt Down-shift In DSG Drive mode
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:06:21 pm »
WTF - driving in manual mode this afternoon, it was driving sweet. I then picked my girlfriend up, so i stuck it in D-Mode. Then all of a sudden the downshifts from like second to first was really clunky and then when acceleration off seemed clunky as well.

Has anyone had this before.....Im gonna get my VCDs out tonight / tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone had had this before.

Does it just need reset of is the box on it way out
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

DF2008

Re: Help Needed !!! - Abrupt Down-shift In DSG Drive mode
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
OOOhhhh sounds like that may be a Mechatronic issue.

Does it "Clunk"  or "Jump"down lets say from 2nd to first and seem it does it too early??

My mates car did this a few years ago and he had to have the unit changed under warranty luckily...Over £2K of work

Hope its not

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:57:42 pm »
Does sound like a Mechtronic Module issue Ross.  :sad1:

Found those threads I mentioned. Lots on here, type in "Jerky DSG".

From a thread on here, You can do a reset on your DSG box via VCDS.....

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_%28DSG/02E%29#Basic_Setting

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:44:17 pm »
OOOhhhh sounds like that may be a Mechatronic issue.

Does it "Clunk"  or "Jump"down lets say from 2nd to first and seem it does it too early??

My mates car did this a few years ago and he had to have the unit changed under warranty luckily...Over £2K of work

Hope its not

Thought that issue came up within first few years, Mine is a 55 plate so surely the DSG fault would have happened before 70k on the clock....

Scared as f*ck now....new i should have a got a manual....  :stupid:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:17 pm »
I would be surprised if it was the mech unit after this time.  What else have you been doing to the engine lately.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »
I would be surprised if it was the mech unit after this time.  What else have you been doing to the engine lately.

Nothing really, Had a service about 1 month ago with Cam follower been changed. Going to go out now for a drive and run VCDs

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »
Try reversing on a gradient, this was a common symptom of the mech unit failing. I would then do a battery disconnect and a dsg reset.   :happy2:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:01 pm »
Try reversing on a gradient, this was a common symptom of the mech unit failing. I would then do a battery disconnect and a dsg reset.   :happy2:

what does reversing on hill do mate?  and with the DSG reset, does the engine need to be running or is it just on the first turn on the ignition

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »
If it kangaroos whilst reversing on the incline it is symptom of mech unit going wrong. Can't help with how to reset the dsg a search on here should help.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »
If it kangaroos whilst reversing on the incline it is symptom of mech unit going wrong. Can't help with how to reset the dsg a search on here should help.

It never really Kangeroos (i dont think) sometimes feel i have to put slight my gas in than in drive. Will do the full reset tomorrow. No faults came up when doing the auto scans with my VCDs so i dont know what the deal.

Went out for a 10 min drive, and it seems ok is.....no where near what it was doing....

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:30 am »
Get the car plugged in and see if there are any faults stored in the mechatronics.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »
Get the car plugged in and see if there are any faults stored in the mechatronics.

I Sent this to vRSAlex and PDT - but any other input would be great.

So today i used my VAG-COM to perform what i believe to be the DSG Basic reset. (no faults showing before or after)

Ran through all the number like 62,63, 67, 69 etc....

The first section i tested ( number 61 - Engaged Calibration) made a bit of a thud / jerk like something moved....is that normal?

Also, the main symptoms seemed to be on the down-shift, the car feels really juddery when in auto going down from 3rd, 2nd and then really seems to delay going into and out of 1st.

Do you think my gearbox is on the way out? I have read some people say a full flash or re-aligning "the plates" can help....

So lost right now  :sad1:

Any help would be great.