Make a donation

Author Topic: Changing Headlight Bulbs to Xenon HDI  (Read 986 times)

Offline Scrappydo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Changing Headlight Bulbs to Xenon HDI
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »
Just wondering if this is a straightforward bulb for bulb swap. Seen something about need for ballasts - what's all that about? :confused:
Now that food has overtaken sex as the main driving force in my life I can't even get into my own pants!!

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Re: Changing Headlight Bulbs to Xenon HDI
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »
You need projector headlamps for a proper set up.

If you put a hid kit in reflector type headlamps then the beam will be all over the place.

A ballast is needed to power the bulb properly.  It should sit just under the headlamp.

Or you can get xenon look bulbs which go straight in. Some examples are the mtec and nightbreakers bulbs.

Genuine vw xenons are around 500 second hand.

If you go down the route of getting aftermarket ones, expect to oay around £280 for the headlamps and hid kit.

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Scrappydo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Changing Headlight Bulbs to Xenon HDI
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:28 pm »
Ah!! I just new there'd be more to it than meets the eye!! Thanks for the info. Must admit that I don't think my lights are that bad compared to other vehicles in the household but then again those 'other vehicles' are 10 and 34 years old!! If I don't pay out for the proper kit I'll be able to live in ignorance of what I'm missing!! Sounds good to me! :innocent:
Now that food has overtaken sex as the main driving force in my life I can't even get into my own pants!!