Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of selling the golf and getting a motorway hack  (Read 646 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Having recently changed jobs, my daily commute has crept up to 100 miles and in the four months i have owned i have covered 8k miles meaning it has just a shade under 110k on the clock. For the year and mileage the car is in great condition, the paint work is scratched but no more than you would expect for the age and mileage. Mechanically, again it's in excellent condition with no issues apart from cold weather starts (which seem to be common with the BMN engine) but recently i have noticed a whine from the gearbox at 1.5-2k rpm in first gear. To better explain it, the noise sounds like a vibration, if that makes sense!

With my annual milage of circa 30k and the fact that if i sold the Golf now i would pretty much get what i bought it and i'm tempted to sell it and get a cheap MK4/Bora as a motorway hack, however what is stopping me is that i like the drive and comfort of the MK5 over the MK4. The plan was to get a MK4 GT 150 but finding one for less than £3k that hasn't been ragged, has full service history including camshaft change is pretty much impossible.

The golf is fully specked with Bi-Xenons, full winter pack, lux pack including amp. Folding mirrors with auto-dim drivers door mirror and phone prep. I know i don't actually need these but they are certainly nice to have and something i would miss.

So my question is this. Do i sell the MK5 in favour of a cheap Mk4 or keep the MK5, get the gearbox sorted (possibly £1k inc clutch+DMF) and suck up the depreciation?
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Thinking of selling the golf and getting a motorway hack
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
Just run it till the gearbox pops?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:59 am »
Just run it till the gearbox pops?

Same as this just run it

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »
Had a look at two Mk4's this morning and a Bora and whilst i appreciate i am looking at the £2-£3k price bracket and cars that are at least 10 years old, the three i looked at were absolute dogs!

So after a chat with Mrs Badger, the Golf is staying but i will need to get the gearbox sorted, either a replacement or the existing one reconditioned.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!