Make a donation

Author Topic: VAG-COM Leads  (Read 3649 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
VAG-COM Leads
« on: September 12, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
Guys,

Purchased one of the £15 leads and inevitably had issues with it, constantly receiving the 'No repsonse from the controller' errors despite successful port testing. I'll get rid of this one and purchase a new.

The question is, is the golden rule that only official Rosstech USB to Serial leads will be guaranteed to work?  :scared:

I came across this and it looked respectful, particularly the write up and the price is more realistic.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290343054090&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I know second hand Rosstech ones go for about £200+, but would this be just as likely to work?

Thanks,
Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: VAG-COM Leads
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:21:39 pm »
Thats not a genuine lead. Looks like a Chinese clone.

There is a fair chance it may work but the current VCDS release is 908.

My 2p worth but personally speaking I would save for the Ross-Tech one or not at all.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »
TBH if you've already wasted £15 on a clone, you should have learnt by now to go for genuine items.

Best advice is to look around for someone who is selling theirs, or buy brand-new from ross-tech. At least then if it doesn't work, you have some comeback with the seller.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:05:53 pm »
I have reported this to Ross Tech and eBay.  These barstewardss pi$$ me off they are openly ripping people off with comments like -

Full v704.1 Registered+Licensed Software.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi Pete

I sell genuine kit if interested & I'm sure some of the guys will testament to my service & them being genuine.

Thanks.

N
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »
I have reported this to Ross Tech and eBay.  These barstewardss pi$$ me off they are openly ripping people off with comments like -

Full v704.1 Registered+Licensed Software.

Absolutely well said as it gives buyers a false sense of security when they're actually counterfeit & as soon as you update the software which would entail a firmware update aswell, the lead then becomes useless.

Why waste good money on rubbish when the genuine kit is always updated for newer cars & any bugs, support is free, works on nearly all older VAG cars dating back number of years, safe to use on the car, no chance of cable going wrong & I can absolutely say I havnt heard one complaint about the cables to date & also not one has gone faulty except the guy who ran over his with the car, lol.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:45:07 pm by NHN »
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:48:58 pm »
Additionally you may find that the supplied instructions for that non-genuine cable warns you not to try updating the cd supplied cracked 704 software and to turn off your wifi before using it.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »
Hi Pete

I sell genuine kit if interested & I'm sure some of the guys will testament to my service & them being genuine.

Thanks.

N
Hi Neil

What are the prices like?  Do you also sell used version? 
Posted on the wanted section for the same...

Cheers

Lee
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:07:52 pm »
If people want to use VCDS buy an original cable and actually give some credit to the sofwtare developers. Cheap clone cables are just that, cheap; profits going to manufacturer, not Ross-Tech and will probably not work as in each new release Ross-Tech works hard to combat all the clone cables out there. If you value the software pay for it legitimately by getting an original cable. Rant over  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:50:27 am by DomT »

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »
[
Hi Neil

What are the prices like?  Do you also sell used version? 
Posted on the wanted section for the same...

Cheers

Lee

Nigel for short :grin:

As for used leads, sorry no I dont as no one has ever wanted to sell there's tbh, which speaks for itself overall, they're worth every penny & they cost £241 delivered via special delivery for the Hex Can USB version, as tbh the difference in price for microcan version isnt worth it for me or anyone else given hex can usb does every car & most people end up doing a few jobs anyway which usually nets few quid here & there, so for me given audis is 5k+ there's no contest.

It always makes me wonder why people spend 15-30k on cars then scrimp on the best tool or addition for there car then later complain of problems, still astounds me, common sense prevails guys.

Buy genuine & no problems to date, not one person sold to has comeback with issues.

If people want to use VCDS buy an original cable and actually give some credit to the sofwtare developers. Cheap clone cables are just that cheap, profits going to manufacturer, not Ross-Tech and will probably not work as in each new release Ross-Tech works hard to comabt all the clone cables out there. If you value the software pay for it legitimately buy getting an original cable. Rant over  :happy2:
Not a rant tbh, just a very honest & wise opinion, couldnt say it better myself, reason I sell these is because fedup with seeing people complain about counterfeits & I only make few beers each cable tbh so its not exactly a Bill Gates scenario, lol, just dont wanna hear people saying it doesnt work all the time, lol.
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:37:31 pm »
I bought vcds off NHN/Neil and I wil testify that it works without problems. New firmware and software have been released by ross-tech and the cable still works fine with the updates, running the latest version of the software.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:23:44 pm »
The genuine cables are worth the money. They just work and they are a quality tool and so is their support.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:58 pm »
TBH if you've already wasted £15 on a clone, you should have learnt by now to go for genuine items.

LOL, well steady on, hence this thread - If I hadn't of learnt, I'd have thrown £50 at that one too, hence the alarm bells.

A friend up north who's an 8P S3 owner has a £15 lead and uses it all the time, which is the only personal source i had to go on so I thought it best to quiz you lot after my experience. I didn't expect much at £15 though having them seen them go second user for two tonne sterling, as I said.

Will PM you NHN - Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline NHN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »
A friend up north who's an 8P S3 owner has a £15 lead and uses it all the time, which is the only personal source i had to go on so I thought it best to quiz you lot after my experience. I didn't expect much at £15 though having them seen them go second user for two tonne sterling, as I said.
Will PM you NHN - Thanks.

His name isnt andy by any chance is it, lol.

Anyway yeah anytime, feel free.
VAGCOM GENUINE SELLER