Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wheels not sitting equally in the arch  (Read 886 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Front wheels not sitting equally in the arch
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »
I got my car back from VW main dealer spray shop after having my entire front end resprayed and both wings replaced.

Before I dropped it in to paint, overnight I had aired it out and it was all fine.

Since getting it back I noticed the front passenger side is not sitting correctly. It seems that the whole wheel (and I presume the hub assembly) is around 5-8mm further out than the drivers side at all times, whether at max height or fully aired out..
At first I thought it was just camber but I've since checked (as you can see from the picture) at the front of the car you can see the point on the side-skirt as reference and it sits noticeably further out

At lunch time I took the wheel off. Found a knock when moving the wheel/hub/disc in a 12 and 6 o clock position. Traced it down to a loose top mount nut. I tightened that up, moved the bag round again (the air line would twist around otherwise) and did the 12 and 6 o clock test again - Knocking gone. Happy days.

The car pulls to the left under hard acceleration and braking which I have put down to knackered wishbone bushes, after having an alignment done, and everything is straight. No crash damage on this car by the way.

Would bushes contribute to this?

Aired it out again after doing the top mount hoping that resolved it but it's still bloody doing it.

Any suggestions?

Good side

Bad side side

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:21:02 pm by xjay1337 »