Make a donation

Author Topic: Passat 12v socket help!  (Read 2472 times)

gaz b

Passat 12v socket help!
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:18:54 am »

Ok I know it's not a GTI . (mines is running perfectly touch wood :notworthy:) . I have just recieved an 09 plate passat estate from my lease company as a stop gap until my new car arrives.

The problem is that none of the 12v sockets inside the car work an I really need them for my sat nav, phone etc. I hope it is just a fuse but  am unsure where the fuse is! :scared:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Passat 12v socket help!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:27:24 am »
i would have thought it was on the same place as the golf?

if you open the drivers door, look on the side of the dash, there should be a small hole and you can get a nail in there and open the fuse box! ;)

gaz b

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »

Ah Ha!  Will give it a go J , cheers! :happy2: 

I'm ashamed to say but I have never even checked where my fuse box is on the Golf ! :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »

If your fuses keep getting blown by using the 12v sockets, be aware that these VAG sockets can vary in cylinder size!

I know it doesn't make sense for it to vary on VAG cars but it's a known issue that some Mk5 GTI builds (mine for example) have different front sockets from boot sockets. I blew my front socket fuse three times by simply trying to plug in a phone recharger. I now have the right size 12v socket and no more fuse problems.

This may all apply to some Passat builds too. So much for Teutonic efficiency! The Germans are human afterall.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

gaz b

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:36:50 pm »

Cheers Robin. :happy2:  The car has actually arrived with the 12v sockets not working!! :confused:

Ok I went out today and checked all of the fuses at the drivers side of the dashboard and they are all ok. I had to check them all because there is no circuit chart :fighting:!  I suppose I will just have to live with it until my new car arrives. Very strange though :scared: