Make a donation

Author Topic: Environment Agency gets it wrong again?  (Read 840 times)

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Environment Agency gets it wrong again?
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:14:15 pm »
Anyone work for this Agency - bet this hurts!

Environment Agency spent almost £1 million hiring dredging equipment after it sold its own machines for just £200,000 | Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594890/Environment-Agency-spent-1-million-hiring-dredging-equipment-sold-machines-just-200-000.html

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Environment Agency gets it wrong again?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »
Given that it's the Daily Mail, I'll take a guess at something like this.

The machinery they sold at auction was End Of Life material, meaning it was coming towards the point of being in need of replacement. Pressed by the Governments funding cuts the decision was made to sell the machinery and lose the staff employed to operate them. This would be a saving of the wages, running costs, insurance, transport costs, storage costs, etc. for machinery which would be used infrequently over the year, but would still need to be paid up in all respects. These costs could quite easily be way more than the cost of hiring equipment as and when required. Don't forget, the money spent on hiring the stuff includes all wages, insurance, maintenance etc. and is simply the overall cost, whereas the sale of the machinery is just that.

It's just the papers making a story up out of some vague facts.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0jrfuia406vlrh0ulprvf1gcm&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:05:27 pm »

Looks like they are doing a good job as shagging the river banks.  :fighting:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:45 pm »
Allowing the flooding is a matter EU policy, introduced by a 2007 Directive and consciously adopted by the Environment Agency in 2008, which then sought to increase the frequency of flooding on the Somerset Levels.
HOW IS THIS FLOODING BENEFITTING WILDLIFE? 
ANY RARE AND PRECIOUS ANIMALS, INSECTS, PLANTS AND HABITATS, THAT THE E.A. CLAIM TO WANT TO PROTECT IN THE SOMERSET LEVELS, HAVE BEEN UNDERWATER FOR A MONTH AND ARE NOW ALL DEAD!

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers