Make a donation

Author Topic: Rust will VW cover this?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline K9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
Rust will VW cover this?
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:29:01 pm »
Question that my both sides ( show on pic ) have slightly rust right under the front arch, do you think VW will cover that if calling them?
sorry i dobnt know who is the owener of this car  :ashamed:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
Re: Rust will VW cover this?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
I believed they will see if its a known issue spot for corrosion and also if the car has had work down or been damaged.

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:16 pm »
Mine has just been in for this, plus rotten wings.

VW contributed 100% to the wing repair but only 50% to the sill repair.

Any things better than nothing right? Seems to vary from dealer to dealer, something that really bugs me  :stupid:

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:32:42 am »

Any things better than nothing right? Seems to vary from dealer to dealer, something that really bugs me  :stupid:
what did the sill cost you?
VW offered 50% on the wings, but what if i call the VW myself and speak with a warranty guy? what can i tell him to cover 100%?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:20 am »
Let me know how you get on with my this!

Also have the same problem!

Offline JonnyM92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 09:37:18 am »
You have to call into the Warranty Advisor or something.

They should then file a case about the car, take paint readings and pictures. The case is then reviewed and they see whether it's a warranty job. Takes about 2-3 weeks apparently.

Just waiting for the reply on my complaint about the boot badge surround and the rear wings.

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:08 am »
My rear badge has signs of bubbling plus I've noticed my drivers side rear has started bubbling, so are these also covered?

Offline JonnyM92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:05 am »
My rear badge has signs of bubbling plus I've noticed my drivers side rear has started bubbling, so are these also covered?

I believe it depends really. If they believe it to be legitimate i.e. no respray or not caused by stonechip/damage then possibly.

They are yet to get back to me about mine, though I only put the case in last week.

Best thing is to go down to the local VW garage and speak to them. There is a 12 year perforation warranty on all cars.

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »

VW offered 50% on the wings, but what if i call the VW myself and speak with a warranty guy? what can i tell him to cover 100%?

Actually very difficult to tell you what the exact costs were. I had a few other things done at the same time and the labour charge was just totalled up in to one lot. At a guess and taking into account the other work done i would say the labour cost was around the £200 mark. Pretty much a stab in the dark there though. Dont have the sill covers replaced though as i learned they are super expensive.... Mine have been bonded on now and look pretty neat!

I basically phoned my local dealer who told me to just pop over. He inspected the problem areas for around 15 mins. He was a good guy though as some of the bodywork had been repainted in the past (info which he is supposed to report back to VW) but he '''forgot to write it down''' on the report  :notworthy: Now this shouldnt have swayed it anyway as that was panels that were not near the rust areas. He just said that from experience, they will try and find any way to wriggle out of paying 100%.

Have a bit more of a search on here as there is some info suggesting VW are doing all wings now at 100%.

I can also tell you i had the tailgate handle done which they paid 50% towards.

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »

Actually very difficult to tell you what the exact costs were. I had a few other things done at the same time and the labour charge was just totalled up in to one lot. At a guess and taking into account the other work done i would say the labour cost was around the £200 mark. Pretty much a stab in the dark there though. Dont have the sill covers replaced though as i learned they are super expensive.... Mine have been bonded on now and look pretty neat!

I basically phoned my local dealer who told me to just pop over. He inspected the problem areas for around 15 mins. He was a good guy though as some of the bodywork had been repainted in the past (info which he is supposed to report back to VW) but he '''forgot to write it down''' on the report  :notworthy: Now this shouldnt have swayed it anyway as that was panels that were not near the rust areas. He just said that from experience, they will try and find any way to wriggle out of paying 100%.

Have a bit more of a search on here as there is some info suggesting VW are doing all wings now at 100%.

I can also tell you i had the tailgate handle done which they paid 50% towards.
how can i get them to pay my wings 100%? as they offered 50%

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:50:25 pm »

Have just been offered 50% goodwill offer for my rear drivers side wheel arch.

I've previously had rust around the boot badge and vw repaired this with me making a 50% contribution.

So far I've had both front wings replaced (100% paid by Vw but after a lot of conversations with vwuk)
Drivers side sill (70% paid by VW)
Boot badge (50% VW)

Beginning to wonder whether to cut my losses and buy a new car.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »
On my Mk4 VW did both wings within months of each other.. both free of charge :) The top half of the drivers door I paid 50% on as they said paint was thicker there.

Offline chris-182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:32 am »
My GTI had both front wings replaced, and the sills repaired 100% under warranty from Lightcliffe VW Liverpool earlier in the month. I would definitely take it in and ask them to cover it if i was you.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:24 am »
Picked up a Mk5 yesterday, only issue bodywork wise is corrosion in same place K9 posted, on mine it is the just starting on the drivers side so need to pop in and get a claim started