Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a Golf GTI  (Read 1327 times)

billy_burr22

Buying a Golf GTI
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »
Alrite lads, looking for a bit of advice on buying a GTI mk5.

I was talking to someone who had one about 2/3 years ago and he was telling me about all the drama he had to go through due to the steering rack, it led to him getting rid of it. Its led me to be overly paranoid about going near one. Been told not to go near one, as its always in the garage need expensive fixes.

Would probably be a 2005-2007 one i would be going for, ive seen a couple i like but im really hesitant about this issue, ive looked on the internet forums and seen the threads upon threads of problems but no solutions. I do know VW sorted a ton of them, but are they actually fixed?.

Should this prevent me buying from purchasing one?. What exactly should i be looking out for when going to buy one?.

Want to hear your experiences with yours. Dont want to have to shell out thousands on patching it up all the time.lol

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:09:18 pm by billy_burr22 »

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Buying a Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:34 pm »
Never had this problem before. Had the car for nearly 2 years and it's been trouble free (touch wood)

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?226836-Mk5-Golf-GTI-Buying-Guide
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline wagonboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Nov.2007 ED30 dsg reflex silver
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »
Had my ED 30 for 6 years now, no probs.

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »
Bought a 2005 one on 87,500 miles 9 months ago, done about 9000 miles and not had a single mechanical problem. These cars are very reliable but you always get bad ones, same with everything. They do have there common faults but they're mostly small bits and pieces. Don't let your mates experience put you off, most people on here will tell you how great they are.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:48 am »
For every 10 bad examples there will be 1000 good ones. Forums report mainly problems after all.  :smiley:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:22:30 pm »
Not had any probs with mine, just changed normal stuff recommended by this forum.
Car been fine.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:22 am »
No steering rack issues on mine either.  :confused:

Never heard of that issue on our cars too.

Had that issue on a face lift mk1 focus st tho. But wasn't expensive to fix.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:19:37 am »
I have a 2005 mk5 Gti.

Bought it 3.5 years ago with 20,000 miles on it full VW service history, 1 owner. Bought it privately. It's done 55,000 now.

When I got it I had to go to vw to get the coil packs replaced under warranty. When it was in the guy informed from their records it'd had 3 steering racks before I'd got it. I wasn't aware of that. The car has not given me any issues steering wise since I've owned it.

I owned a mk4 2.0 Gti before (let's be honest it didn't deserve the Gti badge) and I did 145,000 miles in it. Absolutely 100% reliable with only consumables being replaced, nothing else.

Love my mk5 but can't say the same. Have had corrosion issues, rear brake caliper seizure, a coil pack fail, cv boot split. Replaced dv, PVC and cam follower as precautions. Nothing ridiculous though. Corrosion is my biggest headache. Still a brilliant car.

Don't let the negative stories put you off. Spend your time looking for a good one that's been looked after and serviced properly.

billy_burr22

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 03:05:42 pm »
been looking around locally at car dealers, didn't see one gti for sale as of yet. Although i seen a 57 plate golf gt sport 1.4 tsi, it looks greats, had a quick test drive. My only issue is its only a 1.4, and its slightly off putting, going from an 2.0 audi to a 1.4 lol

What your thoughts on this car, anyone had any experience with them?