Make a donation

Author Topic: First golf gti  (Read 3649 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: First golf gti
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »
http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details//serial-port-switch-sps#.VAMvemOuRmo - Full details.

In short, it allows you to switch between different engine maps, like the different modes in higher spec class. It means you can run the car "stock" during the week, but then up the power at weekends or track days. It has an added bonus of a security mode, which disables the engine until you choose a different mode, so even if someone got your keys, with the SPS they can't start the car.

Revo maps cost around half a custom map (£200-250 I believe). They're slightly better for unmodified cars as they're based on stock engines, but this isn't to say they can't be used effectively for modified engines. The problem for a company like Revo, is there's an almost infinite number of modification combinations that they have to write their maps to cope with, and this is where a custom map is better as it's unique to each engines.

I'm no expert, so if you're seriously considering something like it talk to R-Tech, AmD or any other top garage for better advice.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »
Revo Remaps cost around £500, and the SPS switch is around £150. The SPS really is a must, as disconnecting the cars battery will lose the Revo settings . The SPS is the only way to restore the settings (without a trip to your Revo dealer).

Revo will have written their maps using one of the mainstream suppliers (Milltek for exhausts for sure, couldn't guess which for intake. .), although will work fine with all other mods, it woulds best with the mods the map was written to.

I don't see how Revo would necessarily be better for a un-modified car?  Revo wrote their maps when the GTI was new when all engines and components where clean and working correctly. As these cars are getting older and components are wearing or getting covered with Carbon, a generic map is treating it like new (ie asking for the full fuel pressure, where a sighting tired pump will struggle).

A tuner tweaking a map for your exact car will pick up on things like tired fuel pumps, MAF sensors not reading right, lambda sensors giving odd readings etc. . .

Tuning has moved on recently, where R-Tech have identified extra features to improve power delivery and figures (TIV mapping is an example of this). I'm not sure if other tuners are constantly developing their maps? With the fact that the mainstream tuners seem to be focussing on the latest models (mk7 GTI & R for example), I doubt they are too bothered about further improving the maps for the older models like the mk5. . .

Which ever way you go, either Revo or R-Tech remap will put a grin on your face  :drinking:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:45 pm »
Which ever way you go, either Revo or R-Tech remap will put a grin on your face  :drinking:
:happy2:

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 05:23:01 pm »
r tech all day long coz they are brilliant
 :signLOL:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »
Didn'tknow that about the development of Revo software, I stand corrected! I was considering Revo stage 2 anyway for reasons already discussed.

End of the day: Remap = Win all round.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!