Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre wear on GTD  (Read 9990 times)

dansmith180

Re: Tyre wear on GTD
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »
As above they change tyre manufacturers regularly depending on whos giving them the best deal.

Personally I don't like the Continentals at all and would go for a Michelin or Goodyear option.

That does seem pretty quick for wear as it took me about 10k to kill my fronts in a very well driven stage 1 gti. That was with Goodyear eagle f1 assy 2's

Offline GTD

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 06:23:56 pm »
I ended up buying conti sport contact 5's as the 2's are discontinued,  Tyreleader were best price. Stuck with Continental just so that the 4 corners are the same brand.

As long as they last until next March I will be happy as that's when I will be changing, starting to get itchy feet just now if I'm honest.... :driver:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
My MK7 GTD has just ticked over 20,000 miles and I still have 4mm left all round on the Bridgestone Potenza S001's it came form the factory with. To be honest, the Bridgestone's have always been crap for grip and tramping but wanted to get some use out of them before swapping.

Even thought they are not down to the legal limit, they are slipping more than they used to (if that's even possible), so I think a change of tyre is on in the new year. My shortlist so far are the Continental Sport contact 5's or the GoodYear Eagle F1 asymmetrical, but whilst I don't mind sacrificing some mileage for a better gripping tyre, (say around 15k miles), the stories I'm reading of tyres shot in 7-8k miles is a bit shocking !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:08:53 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline JamieUK

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »
Have the tyres worn evenly? How do you know your wife doesn't drive the car hard  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline GTD

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:39 am »
She doesn't drive hard mate, my 5 year old is in the car 99% of the time. Passenger side was worse probably due to the amount of roundabouts in our area.   :sick: