Make a donation

Author Topic: Stripping paint from brake calipers...whats the best way?  (Read 15371 times)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Stripping paint from brake calipers...whats the best way?
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:22:19 pm »
Hi folks,

Got some rear R32 calipers etc from DaveB recently  :happy2: (thanks Dave) but before fitting i would like to strip the blue colour off and paint them red.

Wondering whats the best way. Is it getting them sand/shot blasted or using paint stripper etc. Obviously i dont want to damage the calipers in any way or the seals. Also what red caliper paint would you recommend?

Any ideas guys and girls?

Cheers
Gav  :smiley:

Offline BenR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
Re: Stripping paint from brake calipers...whats the best way?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »
As for stripping the paint when my mate did his he used nitromorse and it worked a treat, don't know if its the best stuff to use but it did the job!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »
i really wouldn't suggesting stripping the paint on there.

If the paint is flaking off then the only solution i would recommend is getting Dave to powder coat them properly! ;)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:50:02 pm »
Yes im not sure what the best way to go is!!

Hopefully Dave will see this and give me his 2 pennies worth  :happy2:

I must admit i was thinking of using nitromors but for some reason i just dont think it's the right thing..dont ask me why!!
JPC the paint on them is fine, infact its great but i just want them red not blue. If they were to be powder coated would the blue paint need removing first?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:52:49 pm »
when you are painting calipers (properly) you come up against all sorts of problems, to the point where someone like dave is needed.

you can do them yourself, but i would prefer to have them done bang on. As you all might know, im a perfectionist when it comes to things like this.

To paint them properly, you would ideally get the previous paint taken off. To do this, you would need to disassemble the caliper and take the piston out. Then you'll have problems with seals drying out. The caliper and carrier will be bead blasted and painted. its a pretty indepth job and is a brake caliper something you want to be taking to bits yourself?

Now, if you want to do it yourself, you would get about 75% the result of a full powder coating job. Going down this route would involve rubbing down the previous paint as best you can then putting two coats of new paint over the top. Ive done this before to good effect. Not as good as a proper powder coating job,but still good to look at! ;)

hope this gives you two ways of looking at it:

- A proper job would be well worth it by someone who has experience and contacts who do this work all the time.
- DIY with some care and effort will yeald good results, and involve less than you originally thought. But it probably wont look as OEM as a powder coating job.

Then choice is yours!  :drinking:

hope this helps

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:11:19 pm »
JPC yes mate that helps thanks.

Will get onto Dave i think. Im not worried about stripping the calipers apart (used to be a motor vehicle technician) but i must admit after many years on the spanners it doesnt make ya a painter and i am useless when it comes to prepping things and painting.

So i'll take ur advice, i, like you like things to be perfect and there is no way i'll be able to do it nicely.

Thanks again

Gav  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:32 pm »
JPC yes mate that helps thanks.

Will get onto Dave i think. Im not worried about stripping the calipers apart (used to be a motor vehicle technician) but i must admit after many years on the spanners it doesnt make ya a painter and i am useless when it comes to prepping things and painting.

So i'll take ur advice, i, like you like things to be perfect and there is no way i'll be able to do it nicely.

Thanks again

Gav  :happy2:

its storing the seals and pistons and stuff that can be fudged up, just didnt want to create a headache for you! ;)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:50:36 pm »
Yes ur right mate. Not only would i get them fudged up but id prob loose them also.   :signLOL:
Plus i havnt anywhere to keep them now as i dont work on cars anymore. I'll send a pm to Dave to see what he thinks.
 :happy2:

Cheers

Gav

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »
I would say the powder coat option would be best,after all they can get very hot & if there just painted over time i can see it flaking off ?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »
I gave my R32 calipers a good wash in works new parts washer, sanded them down the best I could and painted them up.  They looked lovely, then my brake fitter scratched the paint off putting the clips back in.

If I was to do it again, I'd powdercoat them.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
Thanks guy's, yes it looks like its the best option. Not sure of any companies in Telford that do it though. Gonna have a good look on the internet for some. Ive sent DaveB a message so hopefully he will guide me in the right direction!!   :happy2:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:11:53 am »
Gav

Just sent you a PM.

If theres enough interest I'll do a pictured "how to" as to how to prep them for powder coat and get them reassembled

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:08:10 am »
do bears defecate in the woods Dave ? :happy2:
feel free....
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
Thanks guy's, yes it looks like its the best option. Not sure of any companies in Telford that do it though. Gonna have a good look on the internet for some. Ive sent DaveB a message so hopefully he will guide me in the right direction!!   :happy2:

STP Coatings   www.stpcoatings.co.uk

Unit E6
Stafford Park 15, Telford, TF3 3BB
01952 201 788

Ask for Paul.....tell him I sent ya.... :santa:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »
I've done this a few times.

Stiff wire brush over the calipers to get the majority off, mask everything then rub down with wet and dry the same way I would do any paintwork. Then paint with some appropriate paint. I've used hammerite, proper brake caliper laquer and simple heat proof paint. The heat proof paint was the nicest imo. I've never had discolouration or peeling and the brakes still work as good as before, so I'll stick with DIY!

As long as you take your time and mask everything that should not be painted, you can get a finish that looks as good as OEM as long as you don't get your magnifying glass out.

I'm about to do my GTI brakes grey instead of red so I'll take plenty of pics before, during and after for comparison  :happy2: