Make a donation

Author Topic: Terraclean  (Read 1662 times)

Offline neiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Terraclean
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:21 pm »
Any one here used terraclesn to clean the carbon from.their engine just seen an ad saying its available close to me now !

My car is a 2007 gti standard with 75k

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Terraclean
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »
I don't think it will do what you want it to, only real solution is to strip it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 05:07:33 pm »
seeing as the GTI is direct injection you'll only get cleaning of the cylinders and faces of the valves.  it wont touch the inlet ports which are the real problem here

Offline Vwgticrazy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
Had mine done by a friend who has terraclean it got rid of a flat spot and mpg went up about 3mpg.

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:11:08 am »
An Italian tune up is probably just as benefical to be honest!

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:31:13 am »
I have no experience of Terraclean but I hear it may not be successful for direct injection engines, however some will say that they can do it now with special adaptors and a change in application method.

However, for interest I did post this a while back which may (or may not) enlighten you.  :happy2:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,79369.msg825776.html#msg825776

I mention catch cans in this thread and I'd say the jury is out on their effectiveness. Short of introducing an extra injector (or WMI) to wash the gunk off the rear of the inlet valve and clean out the chamber there's not much can be done about this feature I don't think except treat it as mechanical maintenance task every few years.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:36:18 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:52:45 am »
Terraclean is a waste of time on a direct injection engine, just buy a fuel cleaner that goes in the tank if you want to 'clean your injectors'.

A Full PCV delete is the only thing that will really help (R-Tech sell a kit that Vents to atmosphere). Catch cans still recirculate hot oily vapor and tend to mainly catch water vapour from my experience on the TFSI. You will still get some build up that seems to be from the valve stems but that shouldn't be much.

WMI alone was proven to not be 100% effective on keeping them clean, and certainly won't tackle any hardened deposits. Manual clean, full PCV delete (not the £45 ebay jobbies that just remove the front PCV valve and force everything through the rear breather in to the turbo) and WMI are what you really need if you want to keep the inlet clean
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:58:14 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales