Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello from New Zealand  (Read 1648 times)

Offline nz_gti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hello from New Zealand
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:45:03 am »
Hi all,
I've recently brought a 2006 gti and wanted to join the forum to be able to pick a few folks brains as I go about doing a few mods to it.
Its a fresh jap import into NZ so the owners manual is no bloody use to me at all except for using as a door stop, so working out some simple things that are explained in the manual may be easier to ask here.
The car already has a few mods, its got some momo mags on it and a few after market hoses in the engine, after market exhaust system with two pipes on each side, a boost gauge and its had a few lighting mods (lights up like a Christmas tree when unlocking at night etc.) done to at as well.
I plan to lower it and get a stage one tune done to it when I get some spare cash.  Until then I will be no doubt asking some newbie questions as I figure out how to do stuff.
Cheers Steve

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Hello from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
Welcome to the site.

It might be worth posting up a photo or two of the engine bay; if it's been played with under there you'll want to know everything is as it should be. Aftermarket parts can often be a downgrade if not done properly.

As for lowering, unless you want to go really low, H&R springs are a nice option. They work well with the standard dampers and give quite a nice stance for springs. Only caveat is that they will wear your dampers faster than running the car at standard height. Ideally you'd fit some uprated dampers at the same time; Bilstein and VWR are decent options.

I'm not sure what options you have for mapping over there but if you're staying at Stage 1 for now Revo are good generic option.

In the meantime do a bit of reading up on the basics, and importantly, get these sorted before you think about tuning and lowering:

Cam follower
DV
PCV

There are loads of threads on the subject. I'd recommend the oem Revision G DV and oem Revision R PCV. These parts are deemed good for the life of the vehicle by VW, yet over time it's become clear they can and do fail. Arguably the most important is the cam follower - if these wear too much you're looking at a damaged camshaft, damaged fuel pump, and big bills. The DV (diverter valve) can split, losing you precious boost. And if the PCV fails your car will run rough - bad idle etc. Another part that doesn't form part of a service is the fuel filter. It's not a big job and worth doing for peace of mind.

Use 5w40 oil. Standard Bosch spark plugs are good. Coilpacks often fail, giving misfires under load - over here a lot of us fit oem Audi R8 coilpacks. They're essentially identical to the black GTI coils, but a bit cheaper, and red!

And if you have the option, run it on the highest octane fuel you can buy.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:17:08 pm »
Welcome along all your questions will be answered on here  :happy2:

I've a manual book you can have for free if you cover the postage. Probs find out out their tho  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:49 pm »

We had a member that moved out to NZ. Dom Tester, not caught him lurking since though

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:30 pm »
Hello Steve,

Welcome, and whereabouts are you in NZ? I'm a Kiwi who has been in the UK for most of my life. Born in Auckland, but my Uncle & his family are out in Piha.

This forum has been good to me since I've had my mk5 ED30. It has saved me some money and has caused me to spend some too, but there's some great knowledge on here.

So, the most important question;... is yours DSG or Manual? :)

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline nz_gti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:11:40 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, already learnt a bit from those posts.
AJP, I will try and load some photos up, I guess it would be best with the cover off the engine?  Seen a post for that so will have a go next weekend.
I know sweet f all about cars and engines so your advice is very helpful and will have a read up about the cam follower, DV and PCV.
I haven't looked into what options there are for remapping the ecu here in nz, I know NZ Performance Tuning use some Aussie outfit Crydon Racing Developments and are getting good results in the mk5's and I can get that done locally.
http://www.nzperformancetuning.co.nz/uncategorized/vw-golf-gti-mk5-stage-1/
I'm running it on 98 octane which it seems to like better that the 95 or 96 options.
Cheers Chris for the offer of a manual, at this stage I will look a little closer to home.
Dave I'm from the South Island in a small town called Dunedin.  It's a a university town with only under 150 000 people, plenty of roads with not huge amounts of traffic.
As for the gear box.....its DSG.  I wanted a manual, but could only find 2 in the south island, both 450km away from me but hundreds with the DSG box.  One has been in a yard for well over 6  months and the other was a bit out of my price range so ended up going for the tiptronic option which is quite fun to drive.  I never owned one before, always driven manuals.