Make a donation

Author Topic: mk4 r32 vs ed30  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
Re: mk4 r32 vs ed30
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 04:37:25 pm »
I owned a Mk 4 R32 before buying the Edition 30.  It was highly modified - Full Milltek with sports cats, K & N Typhoon, Schrick cams, Revo map and I probably only gained 25bhp so as VC said, not much gain but lots of ££££.

I miss the noise, the handling and the traction.  It handled a lot better than the Ed30 does, sticks to the road better, no wheel spin and sounded :evilgrin:  It also looks nicer IMO.

Part of me regrets selling it, but part of me doesn't.  The Edition 30 is superior in some ways - it's more nimble, huge power gains for not much £££ and more comfortable on long journeys.  

Would I own another? Well no, because I have been there, done that.  Not because I didn't like the car but just because I would want something different.  I nearly replaced it with a Mk 5 R32 - had specced one up, test drove one and went into the dealers to place my order.  Thought I would try the Edition 30 to satisfy myself that I didn't want one, and ended up ordering one instead of an R32.  The Edition 30 won it due to tuneability, cheaper tax, cheaper to buy and the fact that I'd done the V6 thing and had never had a turbo'd car.

Running costs are cheaper on the Edition 30, but not hugely cheaper.  It was getting to the point where the R32 was coming up to 5 years old and little things were starting to go wrong with it  and seeing as parts aren't cheap for them I decided a newer car was necessary to have 3 years of warantied, stress free driving.

It depends what you want from the car.  If you're not into modifying then you're on the wrong forum then I'd say go for the R32.  It's a better package in standard form.  However, if increases in power is what you want then get an Edition 30.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:39:31 pm by Golfgirl »

FOR SALE!

Offline joesgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »
NICEST LOOKING!!!  :P

Dont need a KO4, i beat stage 1 S3's and stage 1 ed30's anyways!  :P

Only because I couldn't can't launch  :pomppomp:

I believe it was 1-1 was it not?  :grin:

pipe down you!  :P  :laugh:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »
I owned a Mk 4 R32 before buying the Edition 30.  It was highly modified - Full Milltek with sports cats, K & N Typhoon, Schrick cams, Revo map and I probably only gained 25bhp so as VC said, not much gain but lots of ££££.

I miss the noise, the handling and the traction.  It handled a lot better than the Ed30 does, sticks to the road better, no wheel spin and sounded :evilgrin:  It also looks nicer IMO.

Part of me regrets selling it, but part of me doesn't.  The Edition 30 is superior in some ways - it's more nimble, huge power gains for not much £££ and more comfortable on long journeys.  

Would I own another? Well no, because I have been there, done that.  Not because I didn't like the car but just because I would want something different.  I nearly replaced it with a Mk 5 R32 - had specced one up, test drove one and went into the dealers to place my order.  Thought I would try the Edition 30 to satisfy myself that I didn't want one, and ended up ordering one instead of an R32.  The Edition 30 won it due to tuneability, cheaper tax, cheaper to buy and the fact that I'd done the V6 thing and had never had a turbo'd car.

Running costs are cheaper on the Edition 30, but not hugely cheaper.  It was getting to the point where the R32 was coming up to 5 years old and little things were starting to go wrong with it  and seeing as parts aren't cheap for them I decided a newer car was necessary to have 3 years of warantied, stress free driving.

It depends what you want from the car.  If you're not into modifying then you're on the wrong forum then I'd say go for the R32.  It's a better package in standard form.  However, if increases in power is what you want then get an Edition 30.

I rememebr going up against you Mk4 at Santa Pod a few years ago. Lovely looking (and sounding :drool:) motor that was..

Offline pomme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 05:30:03 pm »
You know you want the mk4 r32 and turbo it lol   :drinking:

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 06:32:07 pm »
Did you?! wh
I owned a Mk 4 R32 before buying the Edition 30.  It was highly modified - Full Milltek with sports cats, K & N Typhoon, Schrick cams, Revo map and I probably only gained 25bhp so as VC said, not much gain but lots of ££££.

I miss the noise, the handling and the traction.  It handled a lot better than the Ed30 does, sticks to the road better, no wheel spin and sounded :evilgrin:  It also looks nicer IMO.

Part of me regrets selling it, but part of me doesn't.  The Edition 30 is superior in some ways - it's more nimble, huge power gains for not much £££ and more comfortable on long journeys. 

Would I own another? Well no, because I have been there, done that.  Not because I didn't like the car but just because I would want something different.  I nearly replaced it with a Mk 5 R32 - had specced one up, test drove one and went into the dealers to place my order.  Thought I would try the Edition 30 to satisfy myself that I didn't want one, and ended up ordering one instead of an R32.  The Edition 30 won it due to tuneability, cheaper tax, cheaper to buy and the fact that I'd done the V6 thing and had never had a turbo'd car.

Running costs are cheaper on the Edition 30, but not hugely cheaper.  It was getting to the point where the R32 was coming up to 5 years old and little things were starting to go wrong with it  and seeing as parts aren't cheap for them I decided a newer car was necessary to have 3 years of warantied, stress free driving.

It depends what you want from the car.  If you're not into modifying then you're on the wrong forum then I'd say go for the R32.  It's a better package in standard form.  However, if increases in power is what you want then get an Edition 30.

I rememebr going up against you Mk4 at Santa Pod a few years ago. Lovely looking (and sounding :drool:) motor that was..
Did you?! What were you in?  I've got a few vids of me at the Pod, you might be on one of them!

FOR SALE!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »
Red LCR. Was at GTI Fest IIRC, but could be wrong. Was definately you though..  :wink:

Offline Decked

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »
Tricky one...  Mk4 for the looks and sound.  But the mk5 chassis is a lot better.
My Mk4 was a bit special and I wish i'd never sold it but as Golfgirl says, it was getting old and little things were starting to niggle.
How can you say no to this?

More pics of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11948986@N00/sets/72157594505180764/
Meteor S3, REVO Stage 2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, Bilstein PSS10's, EVOM's CAI, Forge TB & DV, Pro-alloy IC & LOBA clutch

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:10 pm »
Red LCR. Was at GTI Fest IIRC, but could be wrong. Was definately you though..  :wink:

LOL I must be memorable :grin:  will have a look through my vids and pics :happy2:

FOR SALE!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:18 am »
I have always loved the interior of the MK4 R32. Have never liked the look of the MK4, but th R32 is just  :drool:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »

A good mate of mine has this one which I have had the great pleasure of driving occasionally : -

It's modified including a loud Milltek and sounds glorious. Not being turbo'd the power delivery is quite different and I would describe it as feeling much looser. Interior feels more luxurious than the Mk5 Golfs.

I remember the car, alloys refurb in BMW sebrang bronze?
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:22 pm »
Tricky one...  Mk4 for the looks and sound.  But the mk5 chassis is a lot better.
My Mk4 was a bit special and I wish i'd never sold it but as Golfgirl says, it was getting old and little things were starting to niggle.
How can you say no to this?

More pics of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11948986@N00/sets/72157594505180764/
Standard issue FMIC there then Decked?  :wink: