Make a donation

Author Topic: Making a False Bottom for Large Garden Planters??  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Making a False Bottom for Large Garden Planters??
« on: June 06, 2017, 03:24:45 pm »
Another random one for you....
I've bought some large deep garden planters, 900 mm high by 800 wide and 300 deep X 5, plus another 5 slightly smaller, ten in total....so an awful lot of  compost. Hence the thought of putting in a false bottom so that I'm only putting compost in at about a foot or so deep....

But, what can I use to make the false bottom?

Was thinking  MDF but I suppose that will just soak up the water. Any thoughts, please? Just called up a local timber mill and he was flipping useless.

Plywood sealed along the edges, maybe?? Wrapped in bin liners? Some bright boys on here, so someone please?  :thinking:

Cheers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Making a False Bottom for Large Garden Planters??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »
It's normal practice to just put a load of medium stones at the bottom of the planters for drainage.   That will reduce the compost volume!

Putting bits of wood and plastic in there to reduce the volume sounds counter productive?  You may as well buy smaller planters?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 04:12:12 pm »
It's normal practice to just put a load of medium stones at the bottom of the planters for drainage.   That will reduce the compost volume!

Putting bits of wood and plastic in there to reduce the volume sounds counter productive?  You may as well buy smaller planters?

Thing is wifey will want them moving 6 times before deciding they're in the right place, and they're already mighty heavy.....

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »

Thing is wifey will want them moving 6 times before deciding they're in the right place, and they're already mighty heavy.....

I move my big pots around the garden with a sack barrow, or borrow a mate or two to help shift them.  Or just put your foot down with the missus and tell her to choose a spot and stick with it  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:01 pm »
Yep gravel stones is the common practice, annoying to move. You could also get some good timber and cut it up into chunks and char it. The char acts as a natural anti-rot, a bit of a lighter option.

Orrr make a raised platform as you'd like and wrap it in damp proof membrane staple it at the top then place another piece on top unstapled down and this will  give you a waterproofed platform.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:37:42 pm »
Use polystyrene to fill out large pots.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:49 pm »
Use polystyrene to fill out large pots.

+1. That's what I do.

Ideally large expanded polystyrene blocks, like from around a new telly or similar.
Also helps to reduce frost damage to the planter, not​ so much wet compost to freeze.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:18:40 am »
Thanks for all suggestions. I did think about polystyrene. It's having it when you need it! Comes in bulk with TV's etc, no where to store it, so you dispose of it, doh! Wonder if Curry's might have some??

Reminds me of something my dad used to say, bless him,  "You never know when it might come in handy". Probably why I'm such a hoarder by nature, but after a few house moves, I'm becoming more "just buy it when you need it". I've spent hours in the past searching for some item that I knew I had somewhere - could have just gone and bought it afresh in much less time and frustration, ha ha. Lessons in life, eh! :doh:

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:43 am »
I've just dumped some polysty from around a new dishwasher.....ideal.

Try your dump/tip...sorry, I mean household Recycling centre  :signLOL:
Or in the skips around the back of Currys/PCW/Argos etc...
Hours of fun!