Make a donation

Author Topic: Timing belt and what else?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Timing belt and what else?
« on: September 30, 2022, 02:37:33 pm »
So Adolf is going for his MoT and also I am going to get the garage to replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner...but while they have it in pieces what else should I get them to do that is beyond basic maintenance? Is it worth getting the cam chain done? Cannot think it has been done, or maybe the oil strainer? How likely is it that these actually need looking at? The car has done 120k now, oil serviced every 4-5k , has new DV, new exhaust, new shocks and springs, discs and pads are fine...I dunno really. I am handy with the spanners and have done cambelts in the past, just don’t fancy it much anymore and while they have it wondered what other preventative measures I could take? I have the cam follower to do before it heads off for the MoT, spark plugs are good...obviously anything the MoT flags up they will do too, I’d just appreciate any advice you guys and girls may have to keep the old boy on the road for longer.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jamu7e4u246a1jp9k8f22f6fl4&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Timing belt and what else?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 02:48:05 pm »
If you have the orange dipstick they're known to crumble and fall into the sump, replacing the dip stick with the newer tougher one and cleaning the sump and oil pick up pipe is then highly advised to do. Outside of that and what you've said I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it, I have no desire to change my chain until/unless it starts rattling personally.

Suspension stuff is worth considering if you have not, dampers will lose so much of their performance before they leak and fail an MOT. When I took mine off which pass an MOT fine they would only rebound by force :grin: Bushes are another one. Not that you have to do this but it's nice to if you can justify it.

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 02:48:55 pm »
Check fuel pump and sump also check turbo ……mine blew up because turbo failed!!!!! :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

As above good advice

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 03:59:44 pm »
There are warning signs of impending turbo death, did you not notice any of them?  Blue smoke, lack of power, brass coloured crumbs in the sump, screeching noises, rattling etc etc.

The list in the 1st post = mega bucks.  Wait and see what it fails on first, if anything, as you will need cash to sort that before you can even drive it. Then worry about the nice to haves.

Love
Dad xx

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 06:12:33 pm »
I know the turbo is fine ( why oh why did I type that?!) but want to make sure I don’t miss anything while it is on a ramp with professionals...I appreciate all of the knowledge on the forum and didn’t want to be a prick moaning that the engine had died 3 weeks after a belt change and for someone to pipe up “I always have so and so done while getting the belt done”....and @Pudding today’s sandwich was cheese and pickle , crisps..beef wotsits....music was crap the kids picked on the way home....fingers crossed for a clean ticket for the year and more money to spend on the rusty bits!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 02:05:59 pm »
MoT booked along with the timing belt, water pump and tensioner....and carte Blanche to fix anything it fails on! Yay!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 10:27:17 am »
A fine selection of sandwich materials and crisping action sir  :drinking:

Got my MOT next wednesday.  It's definitely going to fail this year.  The rear suspension feels like every bush in it fell out months ago  :sad1:

And I've had to buy 4 new tyres for the MOT as the current ones are very close to the wear markers, which they would pull me up on.

I'd rather spend my money on luxury sandwiches and fine crisp accompaniments!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 06:44:33 pm »
Just seen this.

Engine mount is worth replacing when doing timing belt since they aren’t that expensive and are basically removed to do the job.