Make a donation

Author Topic: Not a Golf question, so apologies in advance  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Not a Golf question, so apologies in advance
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:58:43 am »
Guys,

Just need your advice on something that is VW released but not to a Golf. Sorry didn't know where else to post this and I trust the people on this forum much more than any stealer  :happy2:

My Wife purchased brand new in 2006 a VW Polo 1.4 FSI Sport. It's the 9N3 model fitted with the AXU FSI engine. (see crappy phone picture below)

My question is this. When it recently had it's MOT a few weeks ago, the stealer that did it gave us a advisory that according to their records the car had never had a cambelt change, and although it's only done 25K miles, it is now 4 years old, and apparently VW recommend the cambelt at 4 years intervals. They even gave me a price of £295.00 to do the work.

I always ring around to get the best price for this sort of work, and rang another fairly local stealer (who to be fair has done some pretty good servicing work on both the Polo and my Golf GT). They said that according to their records, my wife's car is fitted with a timing chain, and NOT a timing belt, therefore there's nothing to change. the timing chains are only replaced if they are faulty (which apparently is very uncommon).

Who is right, and how if it does only have a timing chain, did my local stealer manange to give me a price (or is that the reason they are called stealers ?)

Cheers

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:11:09 am by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Not a Golf question, so apologies in advance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:31:23 am »
Best bet would be to take the car down to one of them and ask them to confirm one way or the other - they wont be able to do the work if its chain and not belt, but if it is belt driven then it will need changing.

Someone might have just seen the age of the car and no belt service on the history and recommended it tho without even checking the requirements for the car.
Ant

Offline kirkland

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:40:36 am »
I don't know if it has a timing chain ...but to save hassle actually going to the dealer why not ring the parts dept with the Vin number & they can soon confirm either way.

Offline bowie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59:08 am »
a quick google says it has a chain.

Chris.
2010 Golf R DSG. Reflex. 3dr.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:03:05 am »
i'm chain driven and i get cambelt change notifications all the time for a car i no longer own (mk4 .:R32)

keep asking records to be changed but they never are, some responces and requests are just automated

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:19:29 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated  :happy2:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Nasir