Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Shampoo  (Read 1843 times)

Offline x2dazee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Car Shampoo
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »
Hello,

Just seeking some advice on a suitable car shampoo that won't strip wax when applied, not to far back I clayed my car, put some swirl x and polished and put some wax on it to seal the deal.

To lengthen the period of my detail, I was looking for a decent shampoo that wouldnt strip the wax.

Second question..

When I need to polish or apply any other products, do i need to completely remove the wax or the natural removal of wax through various washes be enough.

The reason I ask is, I have used a collinte wax and from reviews they last a long time.

Thanks.

P.S can anyone recommend a good interior cleaner for the MK5 upholstered seats because I have spot tested some other ones (i.e foam like ones) and they leave a damp spot when removed and I don't feel confident to apply it all over.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:51:40 pm by x2dazee »

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
Re: Car Shampoo
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:35 pm »
Hi mate

Any decent car shampoo will be fine on a waxed surface if used in the correct dilution. With shampoos like more or less any other detailing product you will get a different answer off everyone as to what's best but a good starting point is either megs nxt or gold class both are available from your local halfrauds.

Polishing will remove previously applied products mate!!!

Yes Collinite will last a long time when used correctly my last coat lasted 5 months over the winter and was still showing signs of protection.

A good interior cleaner ive found is Autoglym interior shampoo again available from halfrauds. Any interior cleaner will leave a damp patch mate as they are all liquid. A good way to apply them is via a microfibre cloth spray onto the cloth then wipe into the fabric then use another MF cloth damp with cean water to remove.

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »
If you have a snow foamer then add a little fairy liquid to the solution to strip any old wax from the car, giving a virgin surface to start again with  :happy2:

Offline x2dazee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »
Thanks for the info

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:49:19 pm »
If you have a snow foamer then add a little fairy liquid to the solution to strip any old wax from the car, giving a virgin surface to start again with  :happy2:
The salts in it attack your paintwork. I wouldn't let that stuff near my car.

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »
+1 dont use fairy liquid :happy2:

Just use a very strong shampoo mix and claybar

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »
As above with regards the shampoo. Stick to dilutions and where possible I try and keep to the same companies, I'm using zymol wax just now so I stick with there shampoo and dilution rates!
For interior bits and bobs I use autosmart brisk or mega apc. Both work well. On a dirty headcloth as g101 works wonders!

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
There are a number of really good quality shampoos that we recommend but if we have to pick one out of all of them, it has to be Lusso Auto Bathe.  There are several reasons it has an edge over the rest for us... in our opinion it's one of the best value for money products as you only use one capful (which is tiny!) for a 20 litre bucket, it produces masses and masses of bubbles, leaves a really glossy finish and above all, smells delicious!  :smiley:
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Lusso-Auto-Bathe-237ml.html

If you wanted to go for a shampoo that comes in a bigger bottle, another excellent one is the Duragloss Cherry Wash, which has all the same selling points as the Lusso.  This one comes in a 64oz bottle as well as a much larger 3.78 Litre bottle
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Duragloss-902-Cherry-Carwash-Concentrate-3.78-Litre.html

You can remove wax before polishing, but we have to echo what's already been said about the fairy liquid - it's not something we'd recommend as it can really dry out the paint and other bits and pieces like plastic bumpers and trims and the window seals.  The best way to remove wax is to use a cleanser, something like Lusso Revitalising Creme or Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite would be good.  If you wanted to remove the wax and polish in one step though, you could go for something like Dodo Juice Lime Prime, which has microabrasives in it, so does both jobs at the same time.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Lusso-Revitalising-Creme.html
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Dodo-Juice-Lime-Prime-Lite-Pre-Wax-Cleanser-250ml.html
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Dodo-Juice-Lime-Prime-Pre-Wax-Cleanser-250ml.html

Having said that though, you don't need to remove the wax beforehand, as the polish will remove it anyway.  You just need to make sure you reapply the wax afterwards to give the paintwork maximum protection.

With regards to interior cleaning for upholstery, we do our own fabric cleaner that can be diluted up to 20:1, or we have the AutoGlym Interior Shampoo
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/AutoGlym-High-Foam-Interior-Shampoo-450ml.html

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim  :happy2: