Make a donation

Author Topic: Thought i'd share my hard work!  (Read 7188 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Thought i'd share my hard work!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 11:48:22 pm »
I remember someone telling me how she used to stuff chips with bicarbonate of soda and feed them to the birds, then watch them drop from the sky!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:14 am »
^^^^^^^ haha i mite have 2 give that a go stealthwolf  :signLOL:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Dandan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 07:15:10 am »
Nice work! I was detailing my car from 5pm til 11pm last night and my hands are a bit sore (No pics now sorry!)

What chemical did you use to clean your exhaust tips? They look very nice! Mine had not been cleaned in any way by the previous owner so they had not seen shine in 5 years. First I tried some degreaser which I used to use to clean my motorcycles chains - absolutely no effect. Then I pulled out my moms weapon of choise: Harpic Max toilet cleaner  :smiley: It worked like a dream but still was not able to get em as clean as yours are  :sad1:

Also would love to know what brand of tyre dresser you're using? My AutoGlym Instant Tyre Dresser doesn't hold it's wet look too long.

-Dan
Best things in life are not things.

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 10:04:16 am »
Who did the refurb on your Monzas?

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 05:49:00 pm »
Nice work! I was detailing my car from 5pm til 11pm last night and my hands are a bit sore (No pics now sorry!)

What chemical did you use to clean your exhaust tips? They look very nice! Mine had not been cleaned in any way by the previous owner so they had not seen shine in 5 years. First I tried some degreaser which I used to use to clean my motorcycles chains - absolutely no effect. Then I pulled out my moms weapon of choise: Harpic Max toilet cleaner  :smiley: It worked like a dream but still was not able to get em as clean as yours are  :sad1:

Also would love to know what brand of tyre dresser you're using? My AutoGlym Instant Tyre Dresser doesn't hold it's wet look too long.

-Dan
Its water based so will not last long, try something jel based like Meg's endurance tyre gel.

Offline VWellsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:49 am »
Hi sorry it took so long to respond - been away for a while!

DANDAN - I got my Dremel out with the little grinding wheel and took it back to the metal, then coarse wire wool to start reducing the scratches, followed by some wet emery to really take it back to a clean finish. Then finally a good polish with Autosol.

Sounds harsh but the dremmel worked a treat on the really stubborn sooty stuff :happy2:

And... CoolHandLuke - the wheel refurb was done by a company called WheelWorx near Fordingbridge in Hants.
They did a top job and were a nice bunch of guys....

Hope that helps :happy2:

Looking at getting the rear bumper colour coded, same on the side skirts and the front splitter in the next few weeks! :grin:

Only thing holding me back is it takes a £400 chunk of cash out of my turbo back Milltek exhaust fund :sad1:

DSG, Xenon's, Monza II Shadows, Satnav, Leather, Highline, Armrest, K&N Typhoon Induction, REVO Stage 1....

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »
The wheels look quality,was the face of them diamond cut again or have they been sprayed?
Is it OK to remachine the face and rims again without taking to much more metal of?

Offline VWellsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 12:44:14 pm »
The wheels were diamond cut again, and I think I read or heard somewhere that they can be cut / refinished about 3 times before you reach the end of their tolerance, (but i guess the person doing the job will give you better advice).

I wanted to keep the OEM look so didn't fancy painting the whole wheel, and so far (after one winter) there is no chips in the laquer to start the white worm creaping back. :scared:

DSG, Xenon's, Monza II Shadows, Satnav, Leather, Highline, Armrest, K&N Typhoon Induction, REVO Stage 1....