Make a donation

Author Topic: Best technique for removing old wax?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
Re: Best technique for removing old wax?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 09:58:02 am »
You'd be best off starting with either some 1500 or 2000 followed by 4000 grade wet sanding paper

:happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:00 am »
Cheers AP will have a bash although im slightly worried about taking sand paper to my paint!  :scared:  And Thanks again for the quick turn around you made yesterday with my bits and pieces for the weekend  :notworthy:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

crunchy

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 08:07:49 pm »
Hi, I always found zymol HD cleanse to be the best product for cleaning the paintwork back to it's natural state but always used it after claying. Quite expensive but smells like chocolate so keeps the missus happy!!

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:36 am »
Cheers AP will have a bash although im slightly worried about taking sand paper to my paint!  :scared:  And Thanks again for the quick turn around you made yesterday with my bits and pieces for the weekend  :notworthy:

No problem Rich - with the wet sanding just go gently and you should be fine!  One tip to keep in mind - don't sand all in one direction... sand in different directions and even in very small gentle circles (don't apply too much pressure!) as this will make it much easier to polish up at the end.  If you do it all in the same direction you may end up still seeing the sanding marks once you've finished polishing it back.

No worries with the order - glad you got it all in time.  Hopefully you had some descent weather over the weekend to get out and try all the products out?

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 11:37:39 am »
Cheers Taryn Jim, I chickened out of this on the weekend, so will be something I will try out in a couple of months, might also see if I can find a donor car to have a bit of a practise on first  :wink:

Weather was surprisingly good at the weekend, and spent 6 hours on Saturday giving the car some much needed attention! and although I managed to create some marring from my clay bar, I almost all of it out with some polish, that combined with the black hole gave a really good finish and helped the fleck to be more evident so all in all very pleased.

Only got dodgy phone pictures but here you go....

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.