Make a donation

Author Topic: what to spend my money on???  (Read 1411 times)

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
what to spend my money on???
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:43:26 am »
hello all,

i have around 1500 quid over the next few months to spend on bits for my 2007 gti, i already have a remap,

i was thinking:

upgraded brakes - but i dont no what to  - your ideas please

blueflame exshaust full turbo back system - does the back box on this system hang down low like the miltek system and look sh!te or is it hidden away like standard - and is a 100 cell cat road legal ie mot compliant.

and then i think i want to redo my sound system as the current one is rubbish, anyone have a idea of what would be good in the golf, including removing my satnav head unit.

and if anyone has a better idea of how to spend my money please tell me

thanks
tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
Re: what to spend my money on???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »
I suppose the first thing to decide is what you want e.g. performance or audio?

If performance then take a look at the Porsche brakes on the thread on here somewhere as they look good and seem to be achievable for reasonable money. Alternatively braided hoses fast road pads and some disks but there is probably not a terrific difference in cost so go bbk!

Coillies + WALK to stiffen the car up a bit to handle better for your additional power?

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »
Maybe speak to 'T880MM' on here about some nice brakes  :wink:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:53:02 pm »
dont bother with coilovers unless you do alot of track work is my opinion/experience.  a good set of fixed height springs/dampers will be as good on the road.

Anti roll bars would be a better upgrade with all the benefits or coilovers, but without the drawbacks. 

Also consider you dont necessarily need a full TBE exhaust.  if you want the performance gain, just get the performance downpipe(this will also give a deeper burble) 

if you just want the sound then get the cat back exhaust.(very very  minimal Hp gains)
That could potentially release £500 for other mods.

as fr brakes.  second hand R32 setups are always up for sale for sub  £400 on the forums.  but a simple change of brake pads willl give you a large increase in braking over stock.  try Haw HP+/DS2500/M1144s

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:24:37 pm »
The blueflame doesn't hang down like the milly it's pretty you can only see the twin pipes even from exhaust levels.
As said it all depends what you want from your money Imo the gti looks far to high so I'd spend my money on springs rather than coilies unless you do track days

blueflame turbo back £800
eibach springs £130
eibach arbs £280
white line antilift kit £120
r32 front brake kit I got mine second hand for £210

total price just over 1500 and you will have a blinder of car, I'm sure the zorst can be had for cheaper some items might be a tad dearer though as I paid those prices a while ago.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:45:20 pm »
can i jump in to ask... if i dont track /race.. will the r32 brake upgrade be good enough /worth doing even with the weight compared to the porsche option?
for 210 i can mange that but if i wanna do the porsche stuff i gotta wait.
and does all that extra braking power at the front unbalance the car in motion,say braking at corners etc.?
sorry op but it might help you decide too?

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »
cheers guys that helps alot, iv seen people talk about the walks kit thingy, but wat does it actualy do and what is it?

but all that sounds like a good idea, i might save the xsauhst for another time, and do handling mods first with sound system, then exsauhst, and i eventualy want some new alloys :)

thanks
tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info