Make a donation

Author Topic: 4x4 Classic Range Rover  (Read 1422 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
4x4 Classic Range Rover
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:51 am »
I remember a few posts on here a while back about a couple of you guys liking to get down and dirty off road and need to pick your brains. There's been a tidy RR in my street for as long as I can remember and always said if was to come up for sale I'd have it. Well that time has come, so apart from the usual stuff to look out for whatwould be particular to the Range? Some one's mentioned the 'breather on the rear diff' so how could I check that? Any other ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: 4x4 Classic Range Rover
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:55:31 am »
Rot is the biggest killer of these so be on the look out for Orange bits and holes!  :laugh: :wink:

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:06 am »
Rot is the biggest killer of these so be on the look out for Orange bits and holes!  :laugh: :wink:

Ha ha yeah :grin: that's why I am so surprised how good it looks for its age. Obviously need a good look about underneath though. Thanks :happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:10 pm »
if you want to seriously get into offroading avoid the range rover

too heavy, expensive parts to prep it

but if its just for a jolly then with rangies check the front and rear diffs (big bulbous looking thing on front and rear axles) take the filler plug out and stick your finger in to check the oil quality

get under it and check everywhere especially all of the suspension components

electrics are rubbish, when they go they kill the car and are a nightmare!

on the whole though they are great cars for the money most of the time but running costs are stupid when things go south  :happy2:

ive had 2 discos, 2 defenders and a rangie and drive landys all the time  :happy2:

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:17:04 pm »
Cheers VC, yeah it's not really for mud plugging. I've just always loved the look of them and this is really a bit of jolly. With regards to the oil in the diffs, with it being chewed up all the time what colour should I be expecting. Obviously if it's got metal shavings in it, it's not the best :laugh: Any idea on the nut size on the diffs or is it a allen key bolt? Thanks again! :happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
it will be an allen bolt dude, off the top of my head i couldnt tell you the size.

the oil should be clear if in good condition and smell like cats p1ss, at worst dark in colour, if its at all milky then the seals are gone as water has got in. metal shavings will sink so unless you drain it you wont know  :laugh: and i dont think theyll let you do that  :grin:

drive it, go through all the gears in hi range and then do the same in lo range - dont forget to reverse too. make sure the change between ratio's is smooth. test all the electrics too

as for bodywork pay the most attention to the front scuttle, rear door corners, inner sills, and the tailgate areas and also the front bulkhead under the bonnet

nothing is cheap to fix, so be careful not matter the model or year :happy2: