Make a donation

Author Topic: Computer Issue  (Read 846 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Computer Issue
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »
I want to restore my computer back to factory settings and obviously it will wipe everything off it. It has got so slow !
What i want to know is there any easy way to restore it and then put everything back onto it again. I have a separate external hard drive to copy to.
Is there an easy way? Best way? :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Computer Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:48:12 am »
i think you answered your own question....

Copy your data to the external drive using copy paste.

Remember you cant take programs with you, the will need to be reinstalled.

what email client do you use?

h4rdy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:02 am »
What he said but a quick and easy is to copy and paste the Computer-docs and settings-Users-Your name folder, saves doing each file individually.

Also most computers nowadays have a hidden partition which can be accessed with either a disc or sometimes by pressing one of the f1-f12 keys depending on your make.

This may have to be enabled in your BIOS.

This will wipe the drive and install it how it came out of the factory.

Ifti

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:42 am »
Personally, I would backup all your own data, and then reinstall Windows from scratch.
I never like using any of the backup partitions, or the 'restore to factory' stuff since they always come with small programs you never need!! I like a clean install of Windows - so boot off of your install disc and have your drivers etc to hand (Win7 has most of them these days anyways)

h4rdy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:52 pm »
Personally, I would backup all your own data, and then reinstall Windows from scratch.
I never like using any of the backup partitions, or the 'restore to factory' stuff since they always come with small programs you never need!! I like a clean install of Windows - so boot off of your install disc and have your drivers etc to hand (Win7 has most of them these days anyways)

Your right, however I never got a factory disc with my HP I had to burn the backup discs. However I did borrow a friends 7 home premium disc and put my key in.
Although that does flash up now and again with the un authorised box.