Make a donation

Author Topic: First/Second attempt with DA..  (Read 3981 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: First/Second attempt with DA..
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »
Sounds like you've finally cracked it.

TBH I don't think I'd have gone more aggressive than 203S and SFX-3 pad - I'd have just hit it a second time with the same combo. Rarely do you need to go above this. Then again, I'm not into full correction - I leave that to the professionals. I don't have the time, the money or the equipment into going full-blown correction work.

If you're not sure of something or if you're just starting out, it's always a good idea to get a scrap bonnet and practice on that.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 02:28:12 pm »
Sounds like you've finally cracked it.

TBH I don't think I'd have gone more aggressive than 203S and SFX-3 pad - I'd have just hit it a second time with the same combo. Rarely do you need to go above this. Then again, I'm not into full correction - I leave that to the professionals. I don't have the time, the money or the equipment into going full-blown correction work.

If you're not sure of something or if you're just starting out, it's always a good idea to get a scrap bonnet and practice on that.

Its a funny old game really ain't it. Somebody on the other side said to go straight into the FG500 with a SFX-1 pad for VAG paint?! I would like a scrap bonnet to practice on but its finding one still painted and also finding the funds to splash out on one mate.

I think I'm relatively happy now anyway. I'm happy with the amount of correction I've achieved and wouldn't wanna risk going any further without taking paint depth readings etc and having a lot more experience. Once funds become available I may look into getting a scrap panel again and learn how to fully remove RDS etc and maybe the wet sanding stuff but until then I'm admiring my super shiny motor  :grin:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 03:31:04 pm »
VAG paint is hard, but I wouldn't go correcting without adequate equipment eg PDG, sungun, lighting etc. SFX-1 and FG500 - the most aggressive pad and most aggressive polish from each range. If you were going to go that far, it might have been worth wetsanding the entire thing!  :signLOL:

Stick with a finishing or polishing pad. 203s can work beautifully to get most of the swirls out. Multiple hits with same combo can sometimes be safer and better than going to a more aggressive polish/pad.

See how you get on with the rest of the car and then stick up some pics.

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:25 pm »
I went through a similar process when I got my DA 3 years ago. I found the best combo was Menzerna 106fa and the Menz polishing pad. I found that the Menz smaller pads worked much better on the Golf's curved panels and spot pads for the bumpers. Menz polishing pads are very firm but create the heat to help break down the abrasives in the polish. The trouble with bigger pads is that they seem to create too much load on the machine and prevent proper spinning.
It's definitely worth £20 and getting some twin halogen lamps. They fold up small when not in use but make all the difference to help you achieve a better level of correction - Machine Mart usually offer these at a decent price.
Don't forget to offer up some pics on here !

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »
Do you mean like this?

I really could do with something good to help highlight the level of correction achieved and I'm gonna purchase a few spot pads when I get paid. I also want to buy a good ultra fine polish to really finish it off. Any recommendations from anyone welcome.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »
Have a look on DW for homemade ultimate swirl spotter torch.

It's basically a sungun but for £20 instead of £400. You need a cordless drill (any will do), crack it open and remove the motor. Replace with a bulb holder and a solux bulb. The switch is a variable rather than on/off so you can vary the brightness and hence highlight swirls in different ways. Honestly, if I fan do it, so can a three fingered chimp with parkinson's, so none of you should have any excuse.

Offline Steve Baker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »
Had another blast at doing my bonnet today after researching the zenith technique and also watching the Junkman videos on 'The slow cut' technique. In the end I sort of did a combination of them both but its worked a treat. Other than one or two small RDS the bonnet looks pretty much perfect IMO.

Started off with Menz Pf2500/PO 203 S on a Sonus SFX-2 pad and worked it on speed 3 for a few passes with little pressure, then upto speed four for a few more passes with slightly more pressure. Then I sprayed the pad with QD and moved up to speed 5 and worked the polish until nearly clear with plenty of pressure and them back down to speed 4, 3 and finally 2 decreasing the pressure as I went.
 After that I did the same again with the Menz FF3000/PO 85 U but worked it on a lower speed for much longer than the other.

I ain't got a clue if thats the right way but its worked so I'm happy. Having watched a couple of other videos I'd not seen it became clear that I was not applying anywhere near the required pressure which I think was likely the main issue.

Once I've done the rest of the car next week I'll post up some pics  :happy2:

Once you establish a routine that works for you on your car it will be easier everytime !   One word of caution don't be tempted to put too thicker layer of wax on to finish as I found this can leave more swirls in the wax than you ever started out with!!!  :wink:
Steve Baker

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »
Swirl spotting tyorches are fine but in my limited experience, you can't beat working under halogens as opposed moving over a panel at various points / angles with a smallish lamp / torch. I actually meant the twin halogen lamp on a stand type otherwise you'll struggle to see swirls on the roof / bonnet.  :happy2: