Make a donation

Author Topic: RAF cottesmore track day  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
RAF cottesmore track day
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:48 pm »
Thinking of booking myself on the air field track day at cottesmore this month. My brother lives just down the road so its ideal for me to trvel up the day before.  It Will be the first track day in the new car so thought id find its limits with plenty of run'off area and'no barriers, the question is:

Is the air field day there any good? Its the 3.2 mile circuit. Any of you guy us done it?

Sy

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: RAF cottesmore track day
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »
I'm currently based at Cottesmore :D its a dump lol
Only here for another week then off to Cornwall woohoo  :smiley:

As for a trackday? didn't realise there is one lol
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:07 pm »
Just watched a you tube vid of the circuit. Im surprised people don't get lost. Prob the camera but the cones went that visable and seems uite a technical track :grin:

My bro is rf as well hence this being idelly located

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »
I often participate and help marshall at the trackday at RAF Marham in Norfolk. They hold 2 charity trackdays per year and a Richard Burns memorial rally in between. Having done them for the last 3 years I can say with some confidence that RAF base trackdays are a good crack, nice wide & long runways to max out and they usually utilise the taxi ways coupled with cones to create tricky complexes. Normally a burger tent to keep you going throughout the day, pretty much everything you need really.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
Interesting.Not far from S Yorks.Whats the lowdown on spectators?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:23:23 am »
Link?
Sideways yo!

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:30:10 pm »
If anyone is interested in doing the RAF Marham trackday I can inquire when the next one is. It's usually late Sept or early Oct. As with the majority of trackday events it's over a weekend. Cost, based on the last trackday, it's 70 pound per car and 1 driver for either a Sat or Sun and 10 pound for every additional driver on top, so if 3 people rock up in 1 car for some track action it will cost 90 pound. For hardcores they offer a discount for Sat & Sun. It's 120 pound per car and one driver for both days and 10 pound for every additional driver. Normally you need to get there for around 0730-0800hrs to allow for set up and a drivers safety brief. Track time starts at around 0900hrs and is usually split into 2 groups (A&B). How it works is group A will go out for 30mins and you simply swap over with group B and so on. If the numbers are lower than usual it has been known that the marshalls opt for an open pit lane where you can go out when ever you fancy. The day breaks for lunch at 1200hrs for 1hr, then back on track. They get proper marshalls in to help run the day, from Snetterton and emergency response ambulance services and if somethings goes horribly wrong the RAF fire service are on emergency standby. The majority of the proceeds go to the RAF Benevolent fund, which is a fantastic cause and I believe a percentage of the total funds raised goes to another charity which is chosen by the organiser upon suggestions by the participants, so if you feel a certain charity would welcome additional funding then make your suggestion on the day  :happy2:

On average you get approx 3-4hrs track time in 1 day.

If interested let me know.

Pete.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...