Make a donation

Author Topic: clay bar virgin  (Read 1273 times)

Offline wortho8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
clay bar virgin
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
well at the weekend as it was nice weather i had my first go with the clay bar and was very impressed with the end result.

i had a good 5 hours cleaning (1 hour reading the instructions) and was quite suprised on how easy it was using the clay, as for some reason i had it in my head i could potentially damage the paintwork if done in correctly.
didnt get chance to use the high def wax as tbh i was fu**ed after claying the car  :signLOL:

but anyway just had enough time before the sun went down to take a couple of iphone pics

]

Offline golf nutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
Re: clay bar virgin
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:55 pm »
looks good.  i did my first proper cleaning at the weekend, using a glaze and wax!  lots of hard work.  think i will get a clay bar next time though.  just want it to rain now so i can see how the paintwork repels the water!

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:37:26 pm »
You can damage the paintwork with clay if you do it wrong but if you use plenty of lube then should be fine I think. It can cause marring though if done incorrectly. If you do that though its ok - its just an excuse to buy a machine polisher  :wink:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »
Strangely disappointed.

I read the thread title and got a totally different mental picture...... :ashamed:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:39:18 pm »
Clay bar isn't difficult to get to grips with but it is worth remembering a few tips.

- decontaminate the car thoroughly so the clay doesn't get dirty straight away. APC and Tar remover will help.
- don't dry the car after washing. It will only get wet again with the clay bar.
- warm up the clay bar. Drop it in some hot water or roll it in your hands until it is soft and malleable. Think blu-tak.
- lots of lubrication. You don't want the clay bar to drag on the surface as this will induce marring.
- if you drop it, bin it. Otherwise it's worse than dragging sandpaper on the paintwork.
- divide the clay bar into two or three segments - you won't need all of it and it stops you wasting too much if you do drop it
- bilt hamber uses water as lubrication, which can help cut down on costs.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.