Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing Tree Sap  (Read 1849 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Removing Tree Sap
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »
What's the best way to remove tree sap apart from clay. My plan was to snowfoam, wash and then clay the car. Is their anything else that will help the process or is that the best way?

Cheers

Carl :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Removing Tree Sap
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »
Hot water - in the wash bucket and in the snowfoam bottle. Use tar remover before claying.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:47:25 pm »
i got tardis but used it before clay baring. White paintwork was spotless after. Highly rate tardis for removing tar etc. Should work on tree sap id imagine.

Offline yellowbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
Tardis is amazing stuff but always remember to use it with care as it can cause damage if used inappropriately.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »
How are folks getting best results with Tardis?

As Yellowbelly says i was wary of it's potential for damage if i didn't use it correctly the other day and as a result i only removed the fresher tar spots on the car. There are obviously some tar spots from months possible years back on there and Tardis didn't remove them although i never gave it more than about a minute to agitate before wiping off as i didn't wanna screw the paint work or have it run onto the plastic/rubber.

If i'd thought on i may have done the Tardis first and then clayed so the clay may have picked up some of the older tar spots, but then i didn't know if Tardis would fubar the clay...  :sad1:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »
After washing the car, I tend to use a microfibre soaked in tardis. I find this works better than just spraying it everywhere. I also tend to rub the MF on to the tar spots. Have not had a tar spot that can't be removed with tardis. I then wash the car down again to get rid of any tardis, and then clay.

Offline yellowbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »
How are folks getting best results with Tardis?

As Yellowbelly says i was wary of it's potential for damage if i didn't use it correctly the other day and as a result i only removed the fresher tar spots on the car. There are obviously some tar spots from months possible years back on there and Tardis didn't remove them although i never gave it more than about a minute to agitate before wiping off as i didn't wanna screw the paint work or have it run onto the plastic/rubber.

If i'd thought on i may have done the Tardis first and then clayed so the clay may have picked up some of the older tar spots, but then i didn't know if Tardis would fubar the clay...  :sad1:

This should help you buddy - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis.html

As for your comment regarding knackering your clay with the old tar deposits, repeat the steps with Tardis first so at the very least it will slightly breakdown the tar spots. Clearly the 'cleaner' the paintwork the less crappy the clay bar will get during use however sometimes you just got to put up with the fact it doesnt always last long.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:47:19 pm by yellowbelly »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:37:09 pm »
just for clarification to other people reading this.... Tardis is great for removing tree sap/tar on a car that you want to remove the wax or sealant.

if you have waxed the car the week before and don't want to do it again, don't use tardis. ;0

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:20 pm »
What would you recommend in that situation Jay?

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:11 am »
Thanks to Stealth and Yellow.

Also curious as to how to remove tar from a waxed car... :popcornsoda:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:29:33 am »
I might have explained before that the make up of the bonds between the tar particles are pretty similar to those of a sealant or wax. The hydrocarbons in each will be broken down in the wax and in the tar, if you use something like tardis.

If you can flick them off gently, or try using a quick detailer and a clean microfibre very gently to remove it. If you use a dedicated tar remover it will remove the wax in the surrounding area, so there best left alone.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:25:48 am »
Cheers JPC.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:35:39 pm »
I might have explained before that the make up of the bonds between the tar particles are pretty similar to those of a sealant or wax. The hydrocarbons in each will be broken down in the wax and in the tar, if you use something like tardis.

If you can flick them off gently, or try using a quick detailer and a clean microfibre very gently to remove it. If you use a dedicated tar remover it will remove the wax in the surrounding area, so there best left alone.

I think i'll just wash the car with hot shampoo water and try the speed detailer. If i was to flick them off it would take about a week as the whole car is covered in fine (invisible to the naked eye) sap spots :grin:. The only reason i knew was i could see it on the windscreen and when you feel the paint it feels like a rough pad rather than a smooth finish